We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Hood River to Medford Sunday 4/27

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip Hood River to Medford Sunday 4/27

Hi everyone,

Need to do a quick road trip this Sunday from Hood River to Medford. Has anyone traveled this route through Bend lately and if so how are the roads? We would rather take the backroads if they are clear and dry but we haven't done this route before and aren't sure what to expect. Sorry for the short notice and thanks for the help in advance.

DM

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,991 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip Hood River to Medford Sunday 4/27

When you say "quick road trip" what do you mean by "quick?" If you don't have 4-wheel-drive and don't like to use chains on mountain roads...do NOT try to do backroads. In fact, this time of year stay away from backroads altogether unless you're looking for life-threatening adventures! The Cascades have twice their normal snow levels this year and all the passes can be treacherous.

You can check road conditions at www.TripCheck.com

The quickest route would be to go west to I-5 and south to Medford. Going down 97 on the east side of the Cascades would mean having to cross the mountains somewhere. There are a few major passes, but they all have some snow (over 100 inches roadside on Santiam and Willamette Passes, for example).

Again, unless you want to give the mountain rescue teams a workout, stay away from any backroads.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip Hood River to Medford Sunday 4/27

Thank you for the link to tripcheck. We are used to Colorado passes and roads and how different they can be from day to day. For this reason I was checking if anyone had been on the roads from Hood River to Medford recently to see their condition. Mapquest shows 5.5 hrs via I-5 and 6 hrs through Bend on secondary hwys, so both are quick for us.

Thanks for your quick response,

DM

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,991 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip Hood River to Medford Sunday 4/27

I took a look at Mapquest's directions to Medford via I-5 and didn't understand some of the instructions. I-5 takes you directly into Medford. By putting in a specific address you might get precise directions. If Mapquest isn't taking into consideration winter driving conditions you won't be getting accurate drive time preditions via Bend.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,991 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip Hood River to Medford Sunday 4/27

The timing via I-5 may be OK, but the timing via Bend can't be. First of all, THERE ARE NO SECONDARY ROADS to take over the mountains at this time of year. Your best bet is taking one of the passes from Bend to Eugene and then down I-5...but it's a 2 1/2-3-hour drive this time of year from Bend to Eugene....so, that's no time saver. You could go all the way down to Klamath Falls and cut over, but that's also iffy and longer. And cutting over on 138 between Crater and Diamond Lakes to Roseburg is also very iffy...and longer.

I can't emphasize enough...play it safe!

Weather this weekend should be OK, but last weekend the passes got an extra foot of snow! And weather can change quickly in the mountains.

5. Re: Road trip Hood River to Medford Sunday 4/27

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 00:16