We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with a toddler in Troutdale

albuquerque
Level Contributor
973 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do with a toddler in Troutdale

I'll be attending a wedding at McMenamins Edgefield in July and will have a 3 year old with me. I'll have a few extra days and am looking for activities appropriate for a toddler (those waterfalls look beautiful but sound scary with a little one!). Any ideas?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do with a toddler in Troutdale

Yes, the waterfalls, LOL. Unless you climb the trails to the top, you are at their bottom. Plus, the streams from them run into the Columbia R., and are enjoyable to walk along. Bonneville or other dams will interest you and, perhaps, your toddler, because of the fish ladders, if they are running then.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
973 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do with a toddler in Troutdale

Thanks Voyaging. I'm glad to know that we'd be at the bottom of those waterfalls - I've been having nightmares about losing my very active grandson over the top! He'd love the fish ladders, great idea.

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do with a toddler in Troutdale

A bit west on Marine Drive is Blue Lake Park, run by Metro. Children who are younger than five aren't allowed in the lake (the lake is actually formed by the surfacing of groundwater, so it's not flushed and replenished by a river or stream, and this rule is to prevent bacteria). So to compensate, Metro built a wonderful water spray playground for them - They also have a paddleboat and canoe concession. metro-region.org/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=149

Also, Oxbow Park is also run by Metro - it is a great place and there are a lot of programs for kids in the summer: metro-region.org/index.cfm/go/by.web/id/150

If you want to drive a little east to Corbett (between Troutdale and the waterfall area) you might want to check this out: www.oldmcdonaldsfarm.org/about_2k7.html

Troutdale, even though it is small, has an extensive parks recreation program with lots of offerings for toddlers, including ceramics classes, tumbling, etc. Here is the current guide …troutdale.or.us/recreation/…2008spring.pdf

but in the summer there will be a new one, probably with more of an outdoor emphasis, so you could check back here for updates

ci.troutdale.or.us/recreation/programs.htm

Some of them are more drop in, some of them you have to sign up for but would probably accept a drop in if you phoned ahead.

Ditto the storytimes at the libraries (the nearest libraries to you are in Gresham and Fairview): check www.multcolib.org/events/storytime.html

The library also has a wonderful special event series that includes singalongs and games. Check the event finder here: http://www.multcolib.org/events/ for your dates - probably closer to when you arrive.

You also might want to check this website as you get closer to your trip - it lists lots of fun child friendly activities, indoors and outdoors: http://www.metro-parent.com/calendar.html

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do with a toddler in Troutdale

And there's a great outdoor pool here:

http://www.mhcc.edu/pages/995.asp

albuquerque
Level Contributor
973 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do with a toddler in Troutdale

Thanks so much for all of those great ideas! We are definitely putting Blue Lake park and the water playground on our to do list.

6. Re: Things to do with a toddler in Troutdale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 17:17