We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast State Parks to Multnomah Falls

Northern California
Level Contributor
119 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Coast State Parks to Multnomah Falls

Okay I reviewed many posts for the coast prior to this post, but would still like some input. I recently bought a cab-over camper and have enjoyed camping in it a lot in Northern Cal.

Next summer I'd like to plan a trip up the Oregon Coast and camp at state parks on the way. (Have about 10-12 days)Will stay in Eureka Cal then begin north from there for the Oregon camping. I have already been on the state park web site and am impressed. I'm also told Oregon state parks are very well kept.Our first night will be in Loeb Stae Park, simply because I was there once before and loved it while staying in Brookings.

Going north from there what do you all suggest for about four or five overnighters on the way to Multnomah Falls. (Plan to branch over south of Tillamook). AND.....I saw the post on the crime in the Gorge and Multnomah parking lot a couple years back. Any more on that issue would be helpful if appropriate. Aren't those areas and the state parks patrolled??? That is why we do Ca. state parks vs. forest service camps etc because of the patrols 24/7.

Sorry this is long, but any assistance is appreciated. We'll be going in July of 2009. This is pretty far in advance but I figure the parks would be booked solid and I plan to book reservations a year early if allowed that far in advance, which is the case with some national parks like Yosemite etc.

Thanks

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,060 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast State Parks to Multnomah Falls

I would consider cutting over further north past Cannon Beach on Hwy. 26. There are some beautiful state parks in the Cannon Bech area (Ecola, Hug Point, Oswald) plus the Three Capes Loop near Tillamook that you should try not to miss.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast State Parks to Multnomah Falls

I believe they caught that Columbia Gorge Bandit the other day, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. I've been to almost all the campgrounds--state or otherwise--on the coast and the only ones I'd stay away from are the ones that are on OHV trailheads like Spinreel.

If you're going in July 09, then the soonest you can book is October 08 as there's a nine-month limit.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast State Parks to Multnomah Falls

I agree that you should see the Cannon Beach / Astoria area. However, those SP's that rjr listed do not have camping, except for Oswald West which is primitive, walk-in only.

Dengay is our resident expert on SP's, and he'll no doubt give you a list. We have been RV'ing for quite a few years, but we usually stay in RV parks, since we like "full" hookups and they are somewhat limited at SP's. We also never plan many months in advance, lol!

Do keep in mind that there are also dozens and dozens of privately owned RV parks and campgrounds, and with a camper you can fit into all of them. Some are right on the water if you like that!

For State Parks, I'd suggest Harris Beach near Brookings . . . Beachside between Yachats and Waldport . . . Nehalem Bay. The bridge work at Beverly Beach should be finished by then. Also a county park (Tillamook county I believe) called Bar View Jetty.

Two RV parks that are pretty laid-back and small - and not paved/concrete - are Jetty Fishery north of Rockaway (private) and Port of Siuslaw in Florence.

The KOA in Waldport has a great location right on Alsea Bay, as does the new McKinley's Marina RV Park.

Here is a website that lists all of the parks and campgrounds, including private and county:

http://www.oregon101.com/rv.html

They did indeed catch the alleged perp in the gorge.

Oh, not sure where you're heading after Multnomah Falls, but there is a very nice WA SP at Maryhill, right on the Columbia River. Full hookups, lol!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast State Parks to Multnomah Falls

Oregon State Parks are ranked 6th nationally out of all State Parks systems, priamrily due to two factors; the real estate they occupy, and the way they are maintained.

Loeb is a wonderful little park, only 10 miles or so inland from Brookings, right on the Chetco river. It's GREAT up there in the summer!! Winter too if you like to fish Steelhead!

After Loeb, moving up the coast, I would suggest you stop at Sunset Bay, NW of Coos Bay. It's worth the 12 mile drive off of hwy 101 to get there. Spectacular beach and neighboring Shore Acres and the formal gardens are not to be missed.

After Sunset Bay, Beachside, between Yacahts and Waldport would be a good choice as half-Brit suggested. There is MUCH more to due at Honeyman, ~25 miles south of there, with the lakes, dunes, trails and such, but I'll leave that for you to ponder. More activites but away from the ocean or right on a great beach with little else to do right in the park.

After Beachside, Cape Lookout, 12 miles SW of Tillamook would be my next recommendation. VERY pretty park right on a GREAT beach.

From Tillamook, it's only an hour drive up to the Cannon Beach area with plenty to see and do in between.

5. Re: Oregon Coast State Parks to Multnomah Falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 14:20