We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
638 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

We have one week in Oregon (no children, just a couple)

Fly in to PDX Wednesday, June 18 at 11:10 AM, and fly out Tuesday June 24 at 7:15 AM.

Have daughter/grandaughter in Portland and have to be in a wedding in Grants Pass on Sunday the 22nd.

We are under a little financial distress, but have to make it to the wedding, so would like to keep this as inexpensive as possible with still seeing good scenery. Would like to keep accommodations from $60- $100 a night.

This is planned so Far (but no accommodations stuck in stone):

W, June 18: Fly in to Portland, have lunch with daughter/granddaughter. Head to coast (thinking Lincoln city?)

TH, June 19: Stay Lincoln city (?) again, explore coastline a little bit to north. Invite daughter/granddaughter out for day on coast (they would drive separately).

F, June 20: Head south along coast and head to Reedsport and then cut across to Roseburg and stay there for night.

Sa, June 21: Roseburg to Crater Lake for day to Grants Pass. Stay Grants Pass

Su, June 22: Wedding in Grants Pass, stay Grants Pass again.

M, June 23: Drive back to Portland fast way along I-5, stay at daughter's.

T, June 24: Fly out early.

Any good dining deals/tips would be appreciated as well!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

One comment so far, I'd choose Newport over Lincoln City. Much more to see and to do, and it's not as much a strip city.

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
638 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

I have looked at that, but thought we would miss out on a lot of the coast drive to there, and was wondering how much farther that would be for the daughter and little one to join us easily there from Portland? Cause it appears farther down on the coast.

Also, are the accommodations reasonable there? I originally was looking at cannon beach, but most were out of range for what we will have to skimp on this trip.

I just picked Lincoln city because it was farther north to give us more of a coast drive and the accommodations seemed reasonable. Thought maybe that even with the time we get in and can get our rental car fairly quickly might choose to drive to cannon beach and then south along coast to Lincoln city, or just go straight to Lincoln depending on timing.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

I understand your points. However, depending on when you depart Portland, Newport is not much further than Lincoln City. Considering your flight arrival time and family activities, you might be better served by relaxing and staying in Portland on Wednesday, and leaving early on Thursday for the coast.

Your family will have an easy trip by going I-5 and cutting over to Newport (or Lincoln City).

You, however, might want to go to, say, Cannon Beach and continue south to Newport to maximize your ocean views. At that time of year, the days are very long.

I'd MapQuest your trip and see the time/distance numbers.

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
638 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

Thanks!

It says about 6 hours to do Portland-Cannon Beach- Lincoln City. So that might be unrealistic. Unless we are feeling energetic after the plane flight. (or stay in Portland and start out the next morning)

Portland to Lincoln City is about 2 hours.

Portland to Lincoln City to Newport is about 3 hours. which is not bad.

And Portland to Newport direct via I-5 is about 2.5 hours.

So guess we can go via Lincoln city to Newport for a nice afternoon drive and then the daughter could always take the shorter route via I-5 to newport to visit for the next day.

Will check out Newport hotels to see prices, etc.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

I did the MapQuest thing per your last comments and found this:

Total Estimated Time: 4.0 hours 6 minutes

Total Estimated Distance: 188.92 miles

I routed you through Cannon Beach, then from CB to Newport, for the time and distance shown above.

Believe me, when you leave the city behind, and hit Cannon Beach and the coast, time will stand still. And you do have those very long days. You will easily stretch that delightful drive to the whole day and not regret it.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,653 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

a couple quick hints for you. There is a coupon book you'll find along the way with discount hotel offers. Its great when your schedule is flexible. Online its at hotelcoupons.com. Take a look at it. I've always found Roseburg more expensive a hotel city than grants pass but? sort of depends on budget.

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
638 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

<<<I did the MapQuest thing per your last comments and found this:

Total Estimated Time: 4.0 hours 6 minutes

Total Estimated Distance: 188.92 miles

I routed you through Cannon Beach, then from CB to Newport, for the time and distance shown above.>>>

Ahh, thanks, that is what i thought the first time was doing my possible route! I must have had an extra thing in there or something! When repeated, got your results.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

Glad we matched; I wondered if I had erred. LOL

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

Errr, nothing against Mapquest, but I can tell you how long it takes to drive to/from the cities you mention since we do it fairly often!

Cannon Beach to Newport is about 3 hours on Hwy 101.

Portland to Newport is about 3 hours taking I-5 south to Hwy 20.

Portland to Lincoln City is about 2.5 to 3 hours taking I-5 south to Hwy 22.

Newport has more to do than Lincoln City, is less congested and is more scenic. You can try The Whaler or The Waves, both very reasonably priced and with ocean views, across very quiet residential streets.

www.discovernewport.com

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
638 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying into Portland - Coast and Crater Lake (Budget trip)

Thanks. Will look into those.