We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Willamette home base, + travel hints for 81-yr.-old mom

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Willamette home base, + travel hints for 81-yr.-old mom

Hello.

I'll be going on a mother-daughter trip in late June to Portland for a day, then to the Willamette Valley for probably two - three days. I'll be with my mom who's 81. At first I thought we'd need a couple places to stay, but it seems like we could have one town as a home base. We'll be checking out gardens, tea rooms, and do a little wine tasting. Corvallis will probably be our southern-most stop (or *maybe* Eugene...?), Silverton the furthest east, and Carlton and McMinnvile the furthest west. Is there a nice little town that's best for a home base? (We both like friendly B&Bs best where you can chat with other guests.)

Also, I'd love to see some of the waterfalls and parks in the area, but my mom can't handle a mile+ walk to get to most from the parking lot or road that I've read about in some guides. The equivalent of about 3 blocks is her maximum walking distance. Are there any scenic waterfalls that can be seen w/out a trek? (Or, am I thinking of another area of Oregon with waterfalls??)

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Willamette Valley
Willamette Valley
742 Reviews
Portland, OR
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Willamette home base, + travel hints for 81-yr.-old mom

How about this place?

http://www.dreamgiversinn.com/index.html

It's somewhere between wilsonville and newberg, and seems like it would be a good home base for a 5 day visit.

There are a few waterfalls you can see from the car in the columbia river gorge, and silver creek falls in silverton can be seen with a short walk.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,253 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Willamette home base, + travel hints for 81-yr.-old mom

From June 27 (probably even earlier)through July 6th (and probably longer), you won't find any lodging available in Eugene and probably not in Corvallis either due to the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials and Oregon Bach Festival taking place in Eugene.

Normally, I'd love to invite you in and show you around Eugene...but over those dates there just won't be any room at the inns.

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Oregon
Oregon
United States
San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Willamette home base, + travel hints for 81-yr.-old mom

Thank you both!

It seems Dream Giver's Inn is booked on the dates we're considering: June 19 or 20 to the 22 or 23 perhaps. It looks nice though. I'll look elsewhere in the immediate area. There seem to be a lot of places to choose from, I just wasn't sure what towns were nicest - or maybe they're all nice.

Thank you Oregonpoppa re. the Eugene info. I'd read about that event, but hadn't noticed the dates we so close to our visit.

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Willamette home base, + travel hints for 81-yr.-old mom

How about this place?

http://www.annabeckehouse.com/

Aurora is a nice old town filled with antique shops. It's about 5-10 minutes from the interstate. It's halfway between Woodburn (really big outlet mall) and Canby.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,811 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Willamette home base, + travel hints for 81-yr.-old mom

Oh, Aurora would be a good choice, very pleasant :-)

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Willamette home base, + travel hints for 81-yr.-old mom

The Anna Becke House in Aurora may be the place now. I've sent a link to their site to my mom.

Thank you!

Renton Wa.
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Willamette home base, + travel hints for 81-yr.-old mom

Hope you were able to make your reservations okay. We just returned from a pleasant trip to the Willamette Valley which included stops at Aurora (don't miss Pacific Hazelnut Farm's Candy Factory at 14673 Ottaway Ave. Aurora, for sublime sweet treats). Silver Falls State Park is a nice drive through farmland if you bail off 1-5 and travel either via Silverton (a confection of a restored town), or go past Stayton. The road winds through many Christmas Tree farms on the way to Silver Falls. One of the waterfalls is close to the old Lodge, and is super easy to walk to. This is a very popular spot for picnics. If you like covered bridges, there are six near Stayton & Scio. A very accessable bridge, set in a park is the Stayton-Jordan bridge. If you like Pizza, try Apizza Stayton while there. They make their own sausage and crust. Delicious! Salem has some great gardens, and Bush Pasture Park is an easy, short stroll on level ground and features a large Rose garden. Old-fashioned roses are prominent on the end near the west entrance. Perhaps some roses that your Mother remembers, back when fragrance was key! Have a wonderful time! Hubqueen.

Mentioned in this post
Willamette Valley
Willamette Valley
742 Reviews
Portland, OR
Silver Falls State Park
Silver Falls State Park
729 Reviews
Sublimity, OR
Salem
Salem
Oregon
8. Re: Willamette home base, + travel hints for 81-yr.-old mom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 00:19