We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Summer Vacation in Oregon

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain Summer Vacation in Oregon

We are planning a mountain summer vacation with our 2 kids aged 7 and 5.

We've never been to Oregon and would like to spend a nice and eventful vacation with our kids on the best mountains in Oregon. We love nature, the outdoors, and plenty of things to "must-see and must-do" to keep the kids and ourselves busy while enjoying nature in the best mountains.

We'd appreciate your recommendations on the best place(s) to spend a few days with the kids and list of attractions for the best mountain vacation in August in Oregon.

We will be spending about 4-5 days and we'd like to experience the best of Oregon while in the mountains.

Thanks and looking to your reply.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Summer Vacation in Oregon

Are you flying or driving? How rustic should the place be? Here's a place I went last August:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0KhpwFjOLFg

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,332 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Summer Vacation in Oregon

There are a lot of choices to be had. This is a big state with several very different mountain regions.

The area around Mt. Hood, of course, is going to be an obvious choice. The Bend/Mt. Batchelor/Sisters area (including the Three Sisters and the McKenzie River) would be another. Even the lower Coastal Range offers some intriguing possibiities.

But if you want a truly gorgeous area with lots of summer activities I'd recommend the Wallowas in the extreme northeast portion of the state. They compare the area to Switzerland in its grand mountain vistas. There's camping, lodges, trails, a tram that takes you up to the top of 8,000+ ft. Mt. Howard and the greatest art colony (bronze sculptures)in little Joseph.

As side trips you have the Snake River, Hells Canyon, Baker City (and a great Oregon Trail Interpretive Center) and a lot of old west history.

Not sure if there's a more direct, shorter way to get there than by flying into Boise or Portland, both of which would leave you with a drive of several hours to get to Joseph, but depending on your arrival time I think the trip is possible in your time frame.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain Summer Vacation in Oregon

This person posted in OR, WA and Maine. The OP wording is somewhat different for each state. On the WA site, davidgmg replied, as did I following David's response.

I said this:

Your questions are, indeed, broad.

Your time for both states is, indeed, limited. WA and OR are very large states, and have lots of mountains and places to go. You said also that you want to experience the best of both states. Unclear as to your intent.

You have expressed similar interest in Maine.

So, perhaps you might research the three states, using Trip Advisor, by going to the tabs to the left, including "Before You Go" and "Things to Do" for each state. Or use Google. And use each state's Department of Tourism.

Then, when you decide on which state appeals to you, contact TA again for that state.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,332 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain Summer Vacation in Oregon

Had I known he was fishing around and wasn't focused on Oregon, I probably would have not responded at all. I don't have much patience for those asking, "What's in Oregon?" I know how much research I do before embarking on any trip and then use TA for guidance once I've decided where I'm going.

I don't feel I should be touting Oregon really...or urging anyone to visit my favorite places. I just think I can be a resource of some information on places I've been and experiences I've had (and, of course, some knowledge of the area in which I live).

I know some of our fellow TA posters feel strongly about enticing visitors to their neck of the woods...and that's OK so long as they give worthwhile info. My personal feeling is that we simply give TA a wealth of experience to share with requesters...not that we are extensions of any chamber of commerce.

This person had a different sort of question than the norm, in that he asked specifically about mountain areas. If Dashelter decides he will, indeed, be coming to Oregon with his family, I'll be happy to assist him further. If he just wants to know if we have interesting mountains in Oregon...and other states...it's highly unlikely he'll get what he wants. Especially from me.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain Summer Vacation in Oregon

I apologize for the confusion here. We are trying to decide either OR and WA in 1 week or Maine.

We understand that it may be somewhat impossible to do 2 states (OR and WA) in 1 week and are weighing the best option if we ought to do 1.

We truly appreciate any additional advice on an Oregon vacation, since here in Florida, it is just flat with not much rustic touch to it.

I'd appreciate your advice on whether to do Oregon or Washington and which would be our best bet for August for family traveling with kids. Advice on accommodation (nice mountain cabin or mountain resort would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks and, again, we apologize for any misunderstanding here.

6. Re: Mountain Summer Vacation in Oregon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 02:17