We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice on things to do in salam.

Manchester, England
1 post
Save Topic
Any advice on things to do in salam.

Hi, i am travelling to Salam and Dallas in a couple of weeks for business but need some advice as to places to eat out and see. Does any one know if horse riding / trail riding takes place near by.

I'm only their for one week but would like to cram in as much as poss.

will it be hot?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice on things to do in salam.

Hi

Just to let you know, it is Salem. It is the state Capitol. Not a huge mecca of tourist/culinary places.

If you are into wine, there are wineries in the area. Of course, there is also a tour of our State Capitol building.

The Oregon Gardens are in the area.

Not sure about horseback riding. I am sure that others will have more info than I do on Salem.

Also, it is only an hour south of Portland, so you could come up and visit some of the sites here, if your schedule permits.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice on things to do in salam.

For dining recommendations, you could check out www.eatsalem.blogspot.com. If you're into getting on a horse, check out Silver Falls Horse Rentals in nearby Scotts Mills. My former favorite restaurant was paved over, and they put up a parking lot.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice on things to do in salam.

Silver Falls is east of town a bit, but a great place to go. In town there is Deepwood Mansion and Bush Park. Otherwise not a lot.

Los Baez is a good Mexican food place.

Oregone--LOL! I grew up here...which place? Ever go to Jory Park?

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice on things to do in salam.

For a nice dinner we used to like Morton's. For nice but casual try Busick Court (esp for breakfast), Marco Polo, Willamette Noodle Company, or Caruso.

If you like baseball there is a minor league team, affiliated with the SF Giants, that plays in Keizer. Schedule is on the website: http://www.volcanoesbaseball.com

Someone mentioned Bush park and Deepwood, both of those are nice. Beautiful, well-maintained gardens at Deepwood. There is also a great Riverfront park downtown with a hand-carved wooden carousel, children's museum, sternwheeler (you can get a lunch cruise), and lots of grass and walking paths. I also used to really enjoy walking at Minto-Brown Park just south of downtown.

If you are interested in that sort of thing there are a lot of wineries in the area.

For the offbeat or if you are a kid at heart try a trip to Enchanted Forest, a little amusement park just south of Salem.

Whether or not it will be hot depends on exactly when you will be there. I found the weather in London was very comparable if that helps.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice on things to do in salam.

Mtngrl: I'm from Woodburn, so you know how cool I am. Anyway, that restaurant was called Burt Lee's Tahiti Lounge, and it's now the parking lot of the bank. So sad.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice on things to do in salam.

Oregone--LOL! Well, one restaurant that my parents used to meet friends at for drinks is now an adult store of some sort. It is always interesting to see how places change. I can't find my way back to Jory though. Wonder if it still exists?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice on things to do in salam.

Mtngrl, would that have been the Crab Bowl? It is now an adult video store...or should I say...mega store. LOL! The original Crab Bowl was the best...a little place with lines out the door. I remember waiting outside one night, with a new boyfriend. We were outside, in line, for about 90 minutes. It was nuts...but worth it.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice on things to do in salam.

PDXWineaux--No, but I can't remember the name. One place my mom worked has been leveled and it is a car dealership now. A year ago I went down for the day by myself and went all over town checking out all the changes and having my own trip down memory lane. It was great to be by myself for that.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advice on things to do in salam.

We visited Salem last year and our favorite things to do were Wildwood Mansion and visiting the waterfalls, the falls were spectacular at least for Texans. after Portland and Coastal dining we were pretty disapointed with the dining options in

Salem.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any advice on things to do in salam.

Rashelle, here is a link that has a phone number for the Silver Falls Horse Rentals. Remember you'll be riding in a "western" saddle here, lol!

http://www.silverfallsconference.com/todo.htm

Salem has *hundreds* of restaurants! Here is a long list, scroll down. You can click on "show all" in each category for more choices:

http://salem.diningguide.com/dl1sa.htm

It depends on where you are staying as to what is close by. Lancaster Blvd. is the main road east of the freeway and it parallels the freeway. It has dozens and dozens of restaurants. Some of the good chains are Olive Garden, Applebee's, Red Robin, Outback, McGrath's, Red Lobster, Newport Bay . . .

Another street that has lots of restaurants is Commercial Street. There is a Chinese buffet that is excellent, called Great Wall Buffet and a place called Roadhouse, also quite good. For purely American food, there is a very casual restaurant named Buster's, which serves wonderful barbeque. It's also on Commercial Street.

Way out in West Salem, across the river, is a small place named Annette's, which has exceptionally good food with very large portions. A newly re-opened place called Eola View also in West Salem, is getting good reviews, but we haven't eaten there yet. It is right on the river.

Temperatures should be reasonable, probably in the 80's . . . 27º to 30ºC.