We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

madison, fl
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

My wife and I hope to visit the northwest next year. We are open to travling in either the spring,summer or fall but perfer the spring or fall due to less crowds. I made a post earlier this week and out of that came my introduction to the Metolius River/Camp Sherman area. I had never heard of this river nor town and I have never read about either up until that point. This has we wondering what are some more of these little known natural treasures. So all of this leads me to my request. If you know of a natural treasure (known or unknown) I would like to learn about it and consider it for inclusion in my trip next year.

Thank you.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

In looking at your previous posts, it appears that you are considering changing the May dates. If you wish to avoid the crowds and hopefully have the best weather, I would recommend the first two weeks in September.

The kids are back in school, summer vacations are over, but the weather is usually nice. And, the mountain places that you want to visit will be pretty much snow-free.

National Treasures--Crater Lake, Mt. St. Helens, perhaps Timothy Lake at Mt. Hood. All of the Columbia Gorge, all of the Oregon Coast. The North Umpqua River east of Roseburg, near Crater Lake is a popular place for fly fishing.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

You query could generate hundreds of replies. Perhaps, when you come out next year, and I agree about September, you could explore the national parks in OR and WA. Not hidden locations, but we each find our own treasures within them.

And the entire OR coast.

And the San Juan Islands.

And...

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

BTW, how much time are you allotting for this trip?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

*Natural* treasures . . . well, voyaging is right, as he often is, lol. You could make a list of dozens and dozens of places to see. Do you have a couple of years to travel 'round?

Here are couple of sorta off beat ones around Bend - the lava tube (part of Newberry Volcanic Monument) and the gorge at Peter Skene Ogden SP.

How about covered bridges? Oregon has a lot of 'em.

Pristine mountain lakes? Yep. Coastal lakes? Yep, those too.

Huge dunes along the coast? Check. Vast farmland? We got it. Great forested wilderness? Yes indeedy.

Not to brag too, too much ;-) , but Oregon does have just about everything . . .

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

hB is right. You'd be hard pressed to find a state that has more natural diversity than Oregon.

Places like Newberry Crater, Fort Rock and Smith Rocks top my list for central Oregon. The Strawberry Mts, John Day Fossil Beds,the Wallowa Mts and lake and the Minum River top my list for eastern Oregon.

For western Oregon, there are too many to list, but the western Cascade waterfalls and hotsprings are must sees IMO, as is the entire coast. The sea stacks off the southern Oregon coast are especially unique.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

National Treasures..and no one listed Dengay? He's a treasure for sure...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

One word: Milkshakes.

http://fieldsoregon.com/default.aspx

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

"National Treasures..and no one listed Dengay? He's a treasure for sure..."---Chico

Yes I am :~)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

... and modest, besides. LOL

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Natural Treasures of the Great Northwest

I would have said Scarlett, but she left us....

By your screen name it sounds like you fish. I understand we have some fishing that rates as a national treasue to those into that sort of thing.

Mt St. Helen's is a pretty cool National Treasure too, I don't think you have an active volcano in Florida.

And then ...there's the tram.

:)