We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestion for area to stay please...

so. cal
Level Contributor
702 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
suggestion for area to stay please...

Pleas be kind. I often haunt the Hawaii boards and they don't like non-specific questions like this one.

I want to visit Oregon. Never been before. What I have in mind is a home or cabin in or near the woods. I am hoping for secluded hikes and hopefully the home will be secluded as well. I would relly be happy if there was a lake or river there too.

1.)Does this sound more like Western, Central, or eastern Oregon?

2.) Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you very much, in advance, for any insights you can offer.

Mike

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestion for area to stay please...

Answer to #1--All of the above.

OK, now that you are totally confused--you could find this in western Oregon around Mt. Hood, or numerous places in the Coast Range, or near Detroit Lake, or southern Oregon near Lake-of-the Woods.

Central Oregon--many areas around Bend/Redmond, LaPine, or Sisters.

Eastern Oregon--areas in the Wallowa Mts or Blue Mts.

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestion for area to stay please...

This is a good list of places around Mt. Hood. www.mthood.info/lodging/mt-hood-lodging.html.

If I were you I'd try The Hidden Woods - I haven't stayed there but it sounds divine.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestion for area to stay please...

A lot of it depends on what time of year you are planning on visiting. When were you planning on visiting?

Much of Oregon fits the bill.Though eastern Oregon tends to be less traveled.

so. cal
Level Contributor
702 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestion for area to stay please...

Thanks for your answers. We are thinking of late June/early July for a week to ten days. Just the 2 of us.

Any specific lake, river, or home suggestions will be appreciated. I will, however, keep looking on line and on VRBO.

Mahalo

Mike

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestion for area to stay please...

You might try Sunriver. Look for properties "outside" the village for more seclusion, and there may be some with a view of the Deschutes River. The little town of La Pine may have something on the river also (same river).

I'm not familiar with Black Butte Ranch, but give that a try too.

Keep in mind two things here: Oregon has a trillion, gazillion trees nearly everywhere, so many places may fit your desire to be in the woods. But, many of the lakes are locked up on Forest Service land and as such have no development - or at least none in the last 50 years or so. Be wary of anything called "rustic" cabin if it is located on FS land, unless of course that's what you're looking for, lol!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestion for area to stay please...

A couple more ideas just popped into my head.

You might try looking in the coast range, places along the Wilson River, up the Yachats River (not the village), inland from Reedsport on the Umpqua River, or around Mapleton on the Siuslaw River.

I did a quickie search of Mapleton and found this one. Not sure how close it is to other houses, but is it basically what you are looking for?

vacationhomerentals.com/vacation-rentals/Map…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestion for area to stay please...

The place that first came to my mind was Metolius River Resort: www.metoliusriverresort.com/seasons.htm It's got all your bases covered except maybe for the "secluded" home bit.

8. Re: suggestion for area to stay please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 21:19