We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route Advice: Seattle to Portland

Atlanta
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Route Advice: Seattle to Portland

I'm cross posting this from the Seattle forum to see if I get any other traffic.

I am heading to Seattle / Portland October 10th. At some time I'd like to cruise down to Portland and was thinking about heading out towards the coast instead of hitting just the freeway. I made a route just looking at maps but have no idea if it is any good, feel free to comment.

http://tinyurl.com/5duct5

Depending on suggestions we'll either do it in one day, or two and stop somewhere and spend the night on the Ocean. If you have any suggestions for nice accommodations it would be appreciated (under $300/night)

In the other thread, Stephanie Inn was suggested which looks great.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Route Advice: Seattle to Portland

Having myself driven the route you've mapped, I'd suggest changing to the most direct route to and from the Oregon coast. Except for a detour out to Cape Disappointment State Park, my wife and I were very underwhelmed by views from hwy 101 in WA.

Alternatively, you could easily visit the Oregon coast from Portland; it's only about 90 minutes.

Either way, allow yourself as much time on the coast as you can; you won't regret it. And Stephanie Inn would be a good choice, unless you're traveling alone, or with children.

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route Advice: Seattle to Portland

I have to agree with mistletoe here. Most of your route in Washington takes you through 2nd and 3rd (and even 4th) growth forest on weyerhaueser land. Views are few and far between as well.

Mentioned in this post
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,251 Reviews
Portland, OR
3. Re: Route Advice: Seattle to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 14:26