We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rockaway beach area of the oregon coast

Priest River,Id.
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
rockaway beach area of the oregon coast

my fmily of 6 adults(3 married couples) are looking for a week-end get-away in this area. I have been looking at unit 7 of the ocean rogue inn but ot much info..Any help on this lodging or any thing that may be suitable would be greatly appreciated!! We are mainly interested in beachfront.. Thanks for your input!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rockaway beach area of the oregon coast

Rockaway Beach does not get much respect around here, LOL! It's a long strip of a town, with the beach, some motels & houses, the RR tracks, and the highway . . . not a lot of charm, but the beach is long and flat and seems endless.

Here are the TA reviews on it:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52043-d556842-…

And here is another website that shows the location. One thing I notice is that it is set back some, so the views may be between trees, rather than a panoramic ocean view:

goseeoregon.com/place/97259-ocean-rogue-inn

I get suspicious when a hotel's website does not include photos of the rooms and the views. Built in the 1920's may mean very small rooms, and possibly set back much farther from the ocean than today's lodgings.

I assume you are thinking of summertime?

Level Contributor
35,211 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rockaway beach area of the oregon coast

Hello and welcome! We haven't stayed in Rockaway Beach but did stop by there last summer on a day trip down the coast. It's a beautiful stretch of beach there, I have a few photos posted of our time there. Happy New Year! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rockaway beach area of the oregon coast

I don't like how their website says "Join us for a week at the SHORE." Who calls it that? I see you're looking at that 3bd unit for $154 (in the summer) which is a pretty good price I think. But if it were me I'd probably rent a house from vrbo or somewhere similar for $20-$80/nt more. I've noticed that in Rockaway Beach the term "ocean view" can mean "ocean view if you stand on the very corner of the patio and lean over a few feet."

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rockaway beach area of the oregon coast

To find Rockaway Beach photos, click on the "Traveler Photos" link in the Rockaway Beach forum. There is one photo there of the Ocean Rogue Inn "as seen from the beach". Not quite my idea of beachfront. The few times I've stayed in Rockaway have been at private residences, but I think you can do better than Ocean Rogue with either the Silver Sands or Surfside Resort. Better yet, take oregone's suggestion and see if you can find a beach house to rent.

As half-Brit said, Rockaway usually isn't listed as one of Oregon's better beach towns. Any particular reason you picked it? The beach itself is nice, but the town has little going for it in the way of character, charm, or shopping for that matter. And you'll have to hop in the car and drive a ways to find a good meal.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rockaway beach area of the oregon coast

syrahgirl, it would be great to know what you thought of the town itself? Did you find a nice place to dine or have a yummy lunch there?

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rockaway beach area of the oregon coast

Chuckle...

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rockaway beach area of the oregon coast

syrahgirl, since your photos are all labeled "Dessert" or "Firepit " , can you please link your photo of Rockaway Beach here ?

Thanks!

oregone, maybe the PR person is from New Jersey?

8. Re: rockaway beach area of the oregon coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 02:16