We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yurt camping in State campground on coast

Vancouver
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Yurt camping in State campground on coast

We would like to book a yurt or a cabin in July 2006. Does anyone have a recommendation on a State campgound with a lovely beach, good biking and hiking, and tidepools?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yurt camping in State campground on coast

I know of two on the north coast: Fort Stevens and Cape Lookout. Both have yurts, but I think only Cape Lookout has cabins. Beaches at both are nice, but because it's less isolated, Fort Stevens is much larger, with more bike trails, and easier access to other activities. Cape Lookout is better for hiking.

I'm sure there are several other parks on the central and south coasts that also have yurts and maybe cabins. Have a look at the Oregon State Parks website.

gjp
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yurt camping in State campground on coast

I've camped a few times at Cape Lookout, and I love it. Never stayed in a yurt or cabin, though, but have seen the inside of them. My advice would be to book as early as possible as they fill up quickly. Have fun!

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yurt camping in State campground on coast

The yurts at Bullards Beach State Park in Bandon are quite nice, and the beaches there are lovely (a little lighthouse is there as well). There are better tidepools on the beach at Harris Beach State Park in Brookings, but that park fills up so much with campers that it seems like a small town to me, so we seldom stay there in the summer. Both beaches are lovely, there is great hiking in both locations, and at Harris Beach you are only 20-30 miles from the redwoods of northern California--hiking in the redwoods is amazing, not crowded, and there are lots of groomed trails to choose from. Sunset Bay State Park near Coos Bay (actually closer to Charleston) also has yurts, but it is also super packed in the summer, so we avoid it until school starts in the Fall. Have a fun trip--the beaches in Oregon are all different, and all lovely.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yurt camping in State campground on coast

If you go to Sunset Bay State Park, i reccommend you stay in yurt H. Not only does it have a bunch of huckleberry bushes (you know, for pancakes), but it's also not right next to the bathrooms. Great tide pools on the beach there, too, by the way.