We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

Contemplating the weekend of October 24 and a couple days around it for a brewpub tour. Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, maybe even Northern California are POSSIBILITIES. (So are trips elsewhere... I almost always have a Plan D)

I realize this makes me sound like a heretic for living in Portland and thinking of this. I really should plot out a pub crawl in town using Tri Met given the depth and breadth of what's available just within the city limits. Heck, I've done that once already.

However, I can think of some side trips. I can think of a couple Oregon locations (and a Northern California brewery that intrigues me) already. However, your suggestions might be better.

NOTE: Been to Pelican, Deschutes in Bend, Rogue in Newport, and really botched not stopping at Terminal Gravity when I had the chance.

NOTE 2: I seem to neglect Washington in this discussion. For that matter, information on them seems to be fleeting, so your input is greatly appreciated for the lay of the land up north. Besides, this Duck knows there are still UW v Oregon tickets available that weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,266 Reviews
Portland, OR
California
California
United States
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

In the Seattle area go to Pyramid, Redhook and Scuttlebutt. For the last two you would need a car.

Don't forget about Widmer's here.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

Don't leave out the Lucky Lab! And I second Widmer... have you ever been to the Gasthaus?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,793 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

Lost Coast Brewery, Eureka, CA

Eel River Brew Pub, Fortuna, CA

The Gasthous in Portland has very good German food :-)

Mentioned in this post
Lost Coast Brewery
Lost Coast Brewery
44 Reviews
Eureka, CA
Eureka
Eureka
Humboldt County, CA
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

I posted this "discovery" earlier this year. Learned that it was not, at that time, quite up to date, but should help your thirst.

http://placemapper.com/maps/brewmap.htm

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

By the way, we were almost regulars at Widmer Gasthaus until the Timbers season got into gear. Good beer and great food. Funny thing is, for not being people who lock into organic movements, we seem to spend time at Roots, Laurelwood, and Hopworks. My GF thinks Bridgeport's taproom on Hawthorne is better than the main site in NW. The next goal has to be Alameda and Amnesia on the North side of town, among many others.

Our other limiting factor- we're friends with some of the management at Ninkasi, based in Eugene, sadly lacking a pub of their own. When we're not visiting another pub, we're seeking out the strong stuff they make.

My original question had the "out-of-the-big-city" experience in mind. Today we came to the conclusion to go elsewhere in October, partially because we can do this anytime. Hence this thread should always be relevant. I want to know if Standing Stone in Ashland is worth it. I want to know just what's available in Enterprise. I want to know of any little 5-barrel operation hidden in some small town that might have a knockout brew. I want to know what folks think about the competition in Eugene. I want to know if there's anything decent in Washington OUTSIDE Seattle.

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,266 Reviews
Portland, OR
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,793 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

>> I want to know if Standing Stone in Ashland is worth it. <<

Absolutely :-)

Mentioned in this post
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

Barley Browns in Baker City is excellent.

And I disagree with Mtngirl ... I *don't* think that Standing Stone is worth it (sorry). But everyone's opinion is different, just giving my two cents.

On the other hand Caldera just opened a Tap House in Ashland and I'll check that out the next time I'm in town: http://www.calderabrewing.com/

I also like Walking Man in Stevenson, WA.

A friend recommended "Brewers Union" on the McKenzie Highway but I haven't been there yet.

While Deschutes is great there are several other brewpubs in Central Oregon, including 10 Barrel and Silver Moon. We're heading to "The Little Woody" later today, which is a beer fest serving barrel aged brews from local breweries. YUM!

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,259 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

I believe Brewers Union is in Oakridge on the #58, not the McKenzie Hwy. I second the vote for Barley Browns in Baker City...great place.

We've been to Standing Stone in Ashland and found it to be OK, a fairly economical alternative to high dining in town. Typical pub grub.

Other than Terminal Gravity in Enterprise, your best bet for things to see and do would be in close by Joseph (with the Wallowas always beckoning).

Here in Eugene, Ninkasi is certainly proving highly popular and we can't wait until they have their own brewpub. In the meantime, the three McMenamins in town are very popular (the deck on the river at the North Bank is truly a special location in nice weather). Steelhead is always busy. And the Bierstein, while not truly a brew pub, does have about 900 brews to choose from...including a dozen or so on tap at any time. Cornucopia also has lots of daily brews on tap (including Ninkasi). I've been told there's a good new brewpub in the Gateway area, but right now can't remember its name.

And, for those looking for the campus scene, there's the venerable Rennie's Landing.

It's hard to go a block in this city without bumping into a place with great stuff on tap.

Mentioned in this post
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
346 Reviews
McMinnville, OR
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

fiveforefun--Hey, careful who you disagree with...it's not me...half-brit:) j/k! :)

poppa--That is the Hop Valley Brewery. We were just there again the other week. I think you need to go sample:)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,793 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Make Your Own Northwest Brewpub Tour

LOL, we had a great dinner there a few weeks ago. Sat out on the patio with a delightful breeze.

Sweet potato curry fries for an appetizer (scrumptious!),

Cobb salad for me (excellent),

steak for DH (grass fed organic - I never eat steak at a restaurant but my bite of this was really good!)

Honey Cream Ale for me & hard cider for DH.

Good friendly service :-)