We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon coast in early December???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oregon coast in early December???

My husband and I will be visiting Spokane(from Toronto Canada)for an anniversary celebration in early December. We thought we would extend our visit and wondered if the weather would be suitable for travelling down the Pacific Coast. We had in mind to go from Seattle, down the coast, possibly all the way to LA. We would be driving and wondered what the weather would be and if it made sense to try to see the coast at that time of year.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon coast in early December???

Storm-watching on the Oregon coast is very popular with us; we love winter at the coast! Just be sure and pack good raingear and drive carefully. Central Oregon around Yachats and Southern Oregon are especially nice with the rugged coastline-beautiful to see the waves crashing into the rocks. You'll love it. Have fun in Oregon!

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,806 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon coast in early December???

Well, gee---I forgot to add the word "coastline" after the Central Oregon and Southern Oregon-oops.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon coast in early December???

Well, if you don't mind peering out the window trying to see the ocean in-between windshield wiper swipes, then yes it makes sense!

Seriously, it will be raining on the Oregon coast. It probably will rain some on the northern CA coast between San Francisco and Crescent City. It *might* be raining on the CA coast down to around roughly San Simeon (the central part). From then on south it will be dry and warm. Or dry and very warm.

It won't feel cold to you, and you won't get snow and ice that early (usually not), but it will be wet. There is a chance of storms with high winds. Hurricane force winds are not uncommon.

Prices will be low, but everything will still be open. Weekends in the north coast will still be busy-ish, since Portlanders go to the coast year 'round.

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon coast in early December???

Nobody is bettin on at least one dry day on the coast in December?? Sometimes its better then the valley.

hope you decide to come :)

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon coast in early December???

If you are driving from Spokane to Seattle in December, you might encounter snow on whichever pass you travel. Be sure and check first.

We love the Oregon Coast any time of the year. If I were you I would make sure and stay in a hotel/motel that is right on the water with good views. The waves in the winter are amazing. One of my very favorite things to do is wave watch.

One reasonably priced motel in Cannon Beach is Tides Inn. Good views and only one block from town. There are others right down town, but we now stay at Tides Inn (they allows dogs).

Oregon Trip Advisor experts know all the good places to stay.

P.S. Pack a rain coat.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon coast in early December???

Spokane for an anniversary celebration? Hmmmmmmmm.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,980 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon coast in early December???

Katzgar--At the Davenport, it would be nice:)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon coast in early December???

OK is right, you may have problems getting to coast from Spokane. and early Dec can often be not so good.

You really did not say your planned method of travel. Assume you will drive down coast. but will you start driving in Spokane? or in Portland?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon coast in early December???

But assuming you can get to oregon coast. I love the coast any time of year. I grew up there. and visit often and any time of year In winter we enjoy the storms. Find a nice place right on ocean if weather comes in, you could really enjoy the pounding surf.

But as first timer a drive down coast cna be great experince, not a lot of traffic, and maybe some weather, but maybe not. Only very rarely is snow or ice a problem on coast.

10. Re: Oregon coast in early December???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 05:18