We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days along beach

calgary
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
6 days along beach

Hi, I will be travelling to Oregon next week, and a friend & I will be there only 6 days. 3 in Manzanita, & 3 in Newport. Since we are arriving Thurs in Manzanita & leaving Sunday for Newport, is it worth our while to go to Astoria one day or just spend the time in Manzanita. What about Cannon Beach, is it similar to Manzanita? Any help would be appreciated

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days along beach

manzanita is about 14 miles south of cannon beach whick is bigger and there is a lot more going on there-- rooms are generally more expensive there- but there is a lot more shopping-restaurants-summer stock etc etc

in manzanita we stay at at the sunset surf motel - in a room w/kitchen in the budd building (newest building) the accomodations are a bit dated but the place is clean- the people are nice- its an oceanfront and the price is right

in cannon beach we usually stay at the lands end motel -- also an oceanfront and 1 block from the center of town - so you really dont have to move your car once you park it at the motel -- there are lots of other places to stay in cannon beach - some ocean front and others not so ocean front

if you let us know your nightly room budget we might be able to give you more info

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days along beach

Not sure why you picked Manzanita. It is a small town with not a lot of shops but a great beach. my faavorite beach town to stay on north coast.

Astoria is my favorite town on north coast to spend a day or two in/near. Lots of history. Maritime Museaum very good. Lewis and Clark sites are unique. Astor column but if you are not into history you may not like

Cannon Beach has a lot of nice shops and good place to stroll.. I like beach at Manznita better.

Level Contributor
35,259 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days along beach

I would try to make it to Cannon Beach and Astoria. Cannon Beach has Haystack Rock, a nice downtown area and there is Ecola State Park. We are just minutes away from CB in Seaside which is a nice stop also on your way over to Astoria.

Here are some websites for these areas:

www.seasideor.com

www.oldreogon.com

www.cannon-beach.net

I hope you have a great trip! :)

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days along beach

I agree, give a look around Astoria and Seaside and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days along beach

I agree with others....Explore Astoria for history.

Explore Seaside for fun and the vast beach to walk along.

Cannon Beach is nice too.....many galleries to see.

Seaside and Cannon Beach share some of the same local stores/restaurants.

My favorites, in order....

Seaside

Astoria

Cannon Beach

Also, I stay in Gearhart.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days along beach

WITHOUT A DOUBT, spend at least one day exploring north of Manzanita. Two would better!!

BTW, if you want quiet and relaxing, that's what Manzanita is!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days along beach

What kinds of things do you and your friend like to do?

There are several nice, short hikes/walks in the coastal state parks between Manzanita and Cannon Beach: Oswald West, Hug Point, and Ecola. And you should make time to walk Cannon Beach, particularly at low tide, when you'll find interesting sea life in the tide pools at the foot of Haystack Rock. You could easily fill three days, I think.

But if it's raining, you might travel further north to Astoria, where points of interest are generally more out of the weather. Then, there's that small outlet mall in Seaside. But otherwise, unless you like bumper cars, skee ball, and miniature golf, I'm not sure why you'd want to stop there.

calgary
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 days along beach

Thanks for all the information, I think we'll try to try to spend some time in Astoria, Seaside & Cannon Beach. Yes, we do like hiking, so I've noted the suggestions for the parks. One more question though, do I need a park pass to enter, if so are they daily or weekly passes? Are passes good for all parks, and if needed where do I puchase them?

Thanks again.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 days along beach

No pass is needed for Oswald West. Ecola charges $3/ daily as an entrance fee.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 days along beach

When in Newport, try to find time to go about a half-hour south to Yachats. Drive up to the top of Cape Perpetua (walk out to the stone shed); walk down to Devil's Churn and go out to the Park at the mouth of the little river.