We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

Hi

My wife and I are planning on visiting California in early June this year and thought to expand the trip it might be interesting to fly from San Francisco to Roberts Field, Remond. Pick up a hire car at the airport, spend a couple of nights in Bend then drive south taking in Crater Lake before heading into California.

Would be interested in views on this itinerary and advice on must sees around Bend. Also how much of Crater Lake would be accessible in the second week of June, given the amount of snow they usually get?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

You will appreciate your decision for this trip. With re: Bend area, quite a bit to see. I leave to others to discuss Crater Lake issue.

Oregon, Central/Bend Area

http://www.visitbend.com/

traveloregon.com/Explore-Oregon/Central-Oreg…

Crater Lake National Park

http://www.nps.gov/crla/

Wonder how much time you have to see, from Crater Lake (or not, depending on snow pack), the very beautiful OR coast and Redwoods National Park, en route to the SF Bay area.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

you'll need to keep an eye on the weather and road conditions

www.tripcheck.com

The entire rim road around Crater Lake may not be open yet, but if the north entrance is open, you can ge to the lodge and out the south gateway back to I-5 and over to the Redwoods or down past Mt. Shasta to the Bay Area.

If the north entrance isn't open, you can still cross over to I-5 via #20 and #126 through Sisters an along the beautiful McKenzie River to Eugene/Springfield and then down i-5 and come in and out of the south entrance to Crater Lake.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

Lots to see and do around Bend. Voyaging has given you some great websites. Some places that come to mind are Newbery Crater Natl Monument, High Desert Museum, drive over to Sisters--pretty little town with lots of interesting shops, antiques and quilting especially, Sunriver, Mt. Batchelor.

Crater Lake in late June may still have some snow, you will need to check their website closer to the time you plan to be there.

From Crater Lake you have a couple of options to head south toward San Francisco.

You can either circle Crater Lake and go to Klamath Falls and continue south on Hwy 97 to I-5 at Weed, or you can drive west from Crater Lake to either Roseburg or Grants Pass and take Hwy 199 over to 101 and go south through the Redwoods. Both are pretty drives, I-5 from Weed would be faster.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

Are there rental cars at the airport in Redmond? And do they do one-way rentals?

In addition to above, I'd suggest the Lava Cave / Tube near Bend:

fs.fed.us/r6/…lavariver-du.shtml

The High Desert Museum is very well done and quite interesting.

UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

Thanks everyone for your input so far. One good point has been raised, can I get a rental car at Remond airport, particularly for a one way trip - dropping it back off at San Fran airport?

Does anyone know?

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

Yes... there are major rental car chains located at the Redmond airport (Avis, Hertz, etc). I don't know if they offer one-way rentals. You should reserve a vehicle and confirm that option directly with the company.

Hope this helps!

UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

Hi All

Have looked into flights times/schedules from both San Fran & Oakland and other than early morning the flights connect at Portland. So have decided to change itinerary and pick up car at Portland, visit the 'Spruce Goose' aeroplane at McMinnville, with an overnight stay. Then drive via Salem to Sisters, stay in Sisters three nights to visit the sights around Bend area. Then drive to Klamath via Crater Lake. Then onto Shasta Lake for one night. Next visit Lassen Vol NP and drive onto either Chester or Quincy for one night. Then onto Kings Beach, Lake Tahoe for a couple of nights before driving to Monterey for the final four nights.

Any advice on accommodation at destinations mentioned would be appreciated and sights to see on route?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

That looks good overall.

Would suggest you stop by Silver Falls State Park on your way to Sisters. It's located on a road that will loop to Hwy 22, the route up the mountain to Sisters. Well worth the side trip even if you see only one of the falls:

www.salemoregon.com/silverfallsstatepark/

Staying in Sisters will have you driving quite a bit around the area, but if you don't mind that it's pretty in a sort of hokey western way, LOL! Visit the local brewpub:

www.threecreeksbrewing.com/brewpub.aspx

What sort of lodging are you looking for, and price range?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

Sounds like a nice plan.

For McMinnville, there are 2 places that I would suggest, but they are very different from each other so it depends on what you like. In the heart of downtown McMinnville is the Hotel Oregon, which is a McMenamin property. McMenamins are unique to OR and WA and are a lot of fun. This one has a rooftop bar. The other place is just north of McMinnville by a few minutes and is in Dundee. Dundee is a tiny town, but with lots of wineries in/around it so is a good place to see all that. You don't get the downtown vibe that you get in McMinnville however. That said, the place in Dundee that I would suggest is Inn at Red Hills. Even though we live just a few minutes from there, we stayed there for a special event a few weeks ago and loved it! Very nice hotel, quite new, and a nice restaurant and wine bar on site. The only drawback is that it is on the main road, so no great views. But they do have a nice courtyard with a massive fireplace, so a nice area if the weather cooperates, to have a drink, etc.

I love the Sisters area. We actually spent our anniversary there this fall. The town has a definite western theme to it, but there are some very nice shops and restaurants as well. Although our fav restaurant is a total dive, lol. That is the Ski Inn:) Sisters is a great location for exploring the area. If the weather cooperates and you can use hwy 242, the Dee Wright Observatory is great. The Metolious River Trail and the Wizard Fish Hatchery are other great places to explore. Closer to Bend, as mentioned the Lava Tube and High Desert Museum are must sees. But also, pretty much right across from the lava tube is Lava Butte. That is a must see, IMO.

10. Re: Road trip in early June from Bend south into California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2010, 05:17