We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers to Oregon Coast

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
First timers to Oregon Coast

My husband and I are in the early planning stages of our first trip to the Oregon Coast in late September. Is it better to drive the whole coast or can we do just either the northern or southern section and then do something else perhaps in Portland or Seattle? We love the outdoors and beautiful scenery, however, we thought perhaps it would begin to all look the same after awhile. Also, if we were to pick one section, any thoughts on which section is better? It will help us to determine which airport(s) we would need to fly in and out of. Thanks in advance!

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers to Oregon Coast

How much time will you have helps with the advise we can give you. Coming in and back out of the same airport will be cost effective. Seatac and Pdx are close to each other about 3 hr drive, I would make my pick by the $. So a driving loop would be a great idea, along the coast then back to the airport by I-5 or just the opposite. Have you ever been out this way before? The more you tell the better we can give some ideas.

Level Contributor
306 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers to Oregon Coast

We have about 10 days, including going and coming. The furthest north we have been together is San Francisco. I've been to Seattle for one day before boarding a cruise ship to Alaska, but that's it. We are trying to figure if we should fly into Northern California and travel the entire coast of Oregon and then out of Portland, or if we should fly into/out of Portland or Seattle and do just the northern coast of Oregon and the cities and basically do a loop. Is the coast pretty much the same the entire route so that if we only did the northern part, it would still be beautiful? Thanks!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers to Oregon Coast

There are three fairly distinct regions along the Oregon coast. Each has it's drawing card in terms of scenery, ect.

You ABSOLUTELY want to travel hwy 101 from north to south. Your starting point will determine how long you will need to truely appreciate everything the coast has to offer and whether or not there is time to explore other areas of Oregon or Washington.

If you fly into PDX, you can easily start at the very northern tip of Oregon (Astoria), at about the mid-way point (Newport), or several spots in between. Flying into EUG will allow easier access to the central (Florence, etc) and southern (Brookings) coastal sections, though it may be less expensive to stick with PDX and just drive.

As for which section (north, central, southern) is better, the answer is easy: NONE of them!! All three have beautiful and unique attractions. Some say the section between Yachats and Florence is the most beautiful along the coast. While it is breathtaking, so is the view from Neah-Kah-Nie Mt (northern coast) and from Port Orford to Brookings (far southern section).

If you commit to doing the entire coast within your allotted 10 days, myself and several VERY knowledgeable people will be able to give you more specific ideas on how and where to spend your time.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers to Oregon Coast

As dengay says, all parts of the Oregon coast are beautiful :-)

Perhaps think about flying into Portland, heading to Astoria on the far NW tip, then taking the coast route south about halfway down the coast.

Then head inland, and return to Portland either meandering through the central Willamette Valley, or go up into the mountains and see the high desert around Bend, then go north and loop back along the Columbia River gorge.

You'll see lots of scenic areas of different types plus Portland itself.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers to Oregon Coast

I think your best bet is to fly into and out of PDX and head towards Astoria and down the coast.

There are many quaint little towns along the way and some busier ones that tend to be too crowded for my taste.

There are countless places to pull over to drink in the view as you head down the coast.

Some of my favorite little towns are Oceanside, Pacific City and neighboring Cape Kiwanda, Neskowin and Yachats. The drive along Three Capes is beautiful.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers to Oregon Coast

Do try to see as much of the Oregon Coast as possible. It is so beautiful and so accessible. The only place on the East Coast that even comes close is Maine.

All the beaches are public property and there are many, many places where you can turn off and park for free and walk or drive down to the beach. (I've just returned from 2 weeks in Florida--I appreciate our wonderful Oregon and Washington coastline even more)

No highrise hotels and condos to block off the great view either.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers to Oregon Coast

If you can't fit the entire coast in, I'd suggest missing the northern section. Scenery is more dramatic, I think, in the central and southern sections. Plus more stuff to do/see, especially on the central coast. And, you'd want to at least get a glimpse of some redwoods in the northern tip of CA.

So, fly into Portland, head to the coast and south, then return via an inland route, which might include a drive-by viewing of Crater Lake. I'm thinking that WA would be too much to pack into this trip, as Seattle and environs are worth a week by themselves.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers to Oregon Coast

>> I've just returned from 2 weeks in Florida--I appreciate our wonderful Oregon and Washington coastline even more) <<

Welcome back to the land that isn't flat, Kitters, LOL! Those endless miles of coastal condos are sort of mind-boggling, aren't they? [shaking head in wonder & disbelief...]

Anyway, alohamom, do you prefer to stay in one or two spots and travel out on day trips, or do you like to just keep moving and see as much as you can? You have only 8 net days, right?

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
71 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers to Oregon Coast

Hello,I'm Andrea.I'm italian.I'm finding beautiful hiking trails on oregon's coast.Can you help me,please?Thanks at all and I'm very sorry for my english.We usually sleep into a tent and we will drive from Seattle to S.Francisco in 10/12 days.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,055 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers to Oregon Coast

Andrea,

Please start a new topic with your question. There are several VERY knowlegable posters on this board that may miss your request otherwise.

And no worries about your English!!