We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

Utah
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

We will be going to Oregon for our 30th wedding anniversary trip in June. We were planning on just an overnight stay in Portland, and then down to Cannon Beach for 3 nights. We now will have one extra night to spend. Trying to decide between the two. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

If you haven't been to Portland before, and since you already have 3 nights (a nice amount of time) in Cannon Beach, I'd spend the extra night in Portland.

Mentioned in this post
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

June..... Heck, with roses in bloom, you could spend the better part of a day just wandering around gardens, smelling the flowers. ;-) And that's not to mention the Columbia River Gorge or whatever else. So, I'd agree with northwestwanderer; spend the extra night in Portland.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia River Gorge
Columbia River Gorge
970 Reviews
Hood River, OR
Level Contributor
37,740 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

I would go with an extra night in Portland, we have enjoyed nice stays at the Riverplace Hotel, The Benson and The Hotel Heathman. Would you like some recs for your anniversary dinner or do you already have a place in mind? Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
The Benson, a Coast Hotel
2,437 Reviews
Portland, OR
The Heathman Hotel
The Heathman Hotel
2,308 Reviews
Portland, OR
Utah
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

I would love some recommendations for our anniversary dinner. And maybe some casual places to eat that are close to our hotel that are good. We are planning on staying at the Hotel Monaco. Is that the best anniversary hotel?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

For an anniversary celebration dinner in Portland, I'd pick from Fenouil, Paley's Place, Ten 01, Castagna, or Sel Gris (if they've reopened by the time you're here). All have great food, but Fenouil has probably the classiest restaurant space in town, and Paley's Place the most romantic.

If the anniversary dinner is in Cannon Beach, I'd go with either Newman's at 988, or if you're up for something a little different, one of the "Dinner Shows at EVOO: http://www.evoo.biz/ .

Hotel Monaco is rated by most visitors as the best hotel in town, so yes, it should be fine for an anniversary. The Benson and Heathman syrahgirl recommends are fine too, but they're a bit stodgy for my taste.

Edited: 16 March 2010, 22:52
Mentioned in this post
Paley's Place
Paley's Place
425 Reviews
Portland, OR
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
2,437 Reviews
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
37,740 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

If you want to dine with really pretty city views, The Portland City Grill is a nice choice for an anniversary dinner. Even if you do dine at another restaurant, you could still go there for dessert or a drink. In Cannon Beach, you may want to look at Stephanie Inn for a nice meal. We also love Newman's @ 988, it is a cozy, romantic place, you can dine in the main dining room or upstairs. Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Portland City Grill
Portland City Grill
2,048 Reviews
Portland, OR
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Stephanie Inn
Stephanie Inn
2,139 Reviews
Cannon Beach, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,894 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

Mistletoe, isn't there something "odd" about the Stephanie Inn dining room? I know you have to pay in advance, but do they not have a regular menu .... or something? I can't remember, as it's not really my type of place, LOL!

Mentioned in this post
Stephanie Inn Dining Room
Stephanie Inn Dining Room
306 Reviews
Cannon Beach, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

LOL, half-Brit! Would that be that the dining room overlooks a parking lot? Or are you thinking about the dinner menu, which is a four course prix fixe deal, with very limited choices? The few times we've been there, they've made a production out of the serving of each course; too pretentious for me, and more of an interruption than informative. Stephanie Inn might be a good choice if you're looking for a "foodie" experience, but I wouldn't pick it for an anniversary. And you're right; reservations must be guaranteed with a credit card.

Mentioned in this post
Stephanie Inn
Stephanie Inn
2,139 Reviews
Cannon Beach, OR
9. Re: Extra Night; spend in Portland or Cannon Beach Anniversary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 05:18