We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some logistics help

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Need some logistics help

Hello,

From Oklahoma, but leaving Ca portion of trip via Napa on June 5th-have untill June 11th. Will be rejoining HWY 1 or HWY101 head north through redwoods, Oregon Coast-want to see Crater-Klamath Falls area, up though Portland, Columbia River Gorge-then up to Mt.St. Helens and a want to see Seattle-whewww best route??? thanks d

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some logistics help

For clarification, do you need to be back in Northern CA on the 11th or are you flying out of Seattle? If you want to explore Crater Lake, the Oregon Coast, The Gorge, Mt St. Helens and Seattle in 6 days, you will be doing a lot of driving and not a lot of exploring, especially if you need to be back in CA on the 11th.

I will get back to you regarding logistics once we know your plan.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some logistics help

Thanks, the plan is to leave June 11th for Oklahoma (home) leaving from Napa as we will have completed most of the Ca portion of trip. I realize it is alot of driving and we are prepared. We drove to Banff couple years ago. I figure Napa to Crescent City, Cannon Beach, CRGorge, Mt. Hood the up to Seattle then home-problem is I want to see Crater and Klamath area-where should I cross over from coast? Sorry to much in too little time-thanks, d-all driving and driving home to oklahoma

Edited: 10 May 2010, 16:29
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some logistics help

First of all, I would drop "Klamath area" out of your itinerary. The key objective is Crater Lake, not Klamath Falls. And it's likely only the southern entrance to Crater Lake will be open in early June (but be sure to check). If, by chance the northern entrance is open, you'll be able to go out that way and up to Bend and from there to Mt. Hood, the Gorge, Portland and Mt. St. Helens. Or take #138 along the beautiful Umpqua River to Roseburg and up I-5 to Portland.

http://www.nps.gov/crla/

If you have to go back out the south entrance, you should probably just go back to Grants Pass and up the I-5 to Portland.

And, if the weather is bad, skip Crater Lake altogether. You don't want to spend a whole day on the detour and then not be able to see or appreciate the lake. Same goes for Mt. St. Helens, which requires spending about 4 hours or more going in and out from the observatory at the end of the road. If you can't see the crater, why do it? On clear days, Crater Lake and Mt. St. Helens are a couple of destinations on the top of our "must see" list.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some logistics help

It's kind of a zig-zagging route, but if you want to see any of the Oregon coast, best would probaby be US 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass and up to Crater Lake, then OR 138 to I-5 at Roseburg, north to exit 136, where you again pick up OR 138/38 to the coast. Cannon Beach is a great little beach town, and well worth visiting, but you'll see a lot of beautiful coastline between Florence and Lincoln City, so in the interest of time, I'd suggest heading back inland towards Portland on OR 18, just north of Lincoln City. The most scenic section of the Columbia River Gorge is 20 - 35 miles east of Portland, so an easy side-trip from the city.

5. Re: Need some logistics help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 06:22