We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed by Oregon

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Overwhelmed by Oregon

I have 6 nights to visit Oregon in mid-July. I'm starting in Sacramento and need to spend a night in or near Bend, and want to end near Hood River. I'm staying away from the coast this time and will be camping.

I'm interested in byways and generally scenic drives. I don't want to spend much more than 5 hours a day driving (not counting stops).

I'm a big waterfall and rain forest fan.

It seems that the Rogue Umpqua byway would fit the bill. I also would like to see Crater lake. Any suggestions on a route would be appreciated!

It's hard to know where to begin in such a scenic state!

Multnomah Falls
National Parks, Waterfalls
Columbia River Gorge
Canyons, Geologic Formations, Scenic Drives, Hiking Trails, Waterfalls
Silver Falls State Park
State Parks, Waterfalls
Crater Lake
National Parks, Hiking Trails, Volcanoes, Waterfalls, Bodies of Water
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed by Oregon

Seeking clarity, your six nights include the drive RT or six nights in OR?

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed by Oregon

Six nights in Oregon.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed by Oregon

Some good waterfalls along Rogue Umpqua SB, half dozen or more. some take short hikes

Suggest you go to Silver Creek Falls east of Salem. 7 or so waterfalls there though 4 of them require some hiking.

And of course the best is the Columbia Gorge, and get beyond Multnomah, Horsetail and wahkeena. some require short hikes.

I think Newberry Crater NVM near Bend is an over looked place. Oregon's other crater lake and it has a waterfall

And go to McKenzie Pass and the large lava fieldsx

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Overwhelmed by Oregon

As a general route, consider I-5 from Sacramento to Gold Hill OR, where you pick up the Rogue Umpqua SB. Make the detour to visit Crater Lake, then back on OR 138 to I-5 at Roseburg. North to Eugene, the OR 126/242 over the McKenzie Pass, dropping into Sisters and on to Bend.

From there you'd have the option of backtracking through Sisters, over the Santiam Pass, turning towards Salem on OR 22, which makes Silver Falls State Park a convenient stop. Or, from Bend, take hwy 97 north to hwy 26 and up to Mt. Hood before dropping into Hood River on OR 35.

I think you could make either route work with your 5-hours/day-driving limitation. Okay.... start poking holes! ;-)

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overwhelmed by Oregon

From Crater Lake, you could head for Bend on Hwy 97, but I like mistletoe's more scenic route back thru Roseburg and over McKenzie Pass. Sometimes McKenzie does not open until very late in July, but you can alway continue on 126 into Sisters.

If you have the time to go back over Santiam Pass to Salem and see Silver Creek Falls, that would be the most scenic. Then from Portland drive the Scenic Historic Columbia Gorge Hwy to Hood River. If you are running out of time, then continue on North from Bend on Hwys 97/26/35 to Hood River.

Sorry, no really true rainforest in Oregon. They are up in the Olympic National Park in Washington.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overwhelmed by Oregon

Do you have a good camping guide? We use this one which is quite good and covers both RV parks and campgrounds:

www.rollinghomes.com/Northwest%20Book.htm

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overwhelmed by Oregon

halfBrit, does that pooch travel with you?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overwhelmed by Oregon

He does indeed. Thank goodness RV slide-outs were invented ;-)

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overwhelmed by Oregon

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm still a few weeks out, with lots of questions so I'm sure I'll be back...

I wish I could take my golden retriever with me, but he's afraid of his own shadow, I think a squirrel would give him a heart attack.

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
97 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overwhelmed by Oregon

Btw half-Brit, thanks for the camping book recommendation. I recently picked up Moon Guide's Northwest Camping and it seems pretty good.