We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

Hi

We're getting ready for our trip to the West Coast next week and I'm starting to question my itineary as I'll be traveling up the Oregon Coast from SFO during the 4th of July weekend. Following is what I have planned and I would appreciate opinions/advice on any changes I should consider

Thurs 7/1 - Leaving SFO - stop at Avenue of the Giants - end in Eureka

Fri 7/02 - We'll be leaving Eureka (~7am) to get to Gold Beach around 11am to catch a full day on Jerry's Jet Boat (12-7pm) - I have reservations already made for this. We'll be staying the night at the Beachcomber Inn at Gold Beach

Sat 7/03 - Leave Gold Beach ~9am head towards Newport .

- On the way we plan to stop at Winchester for the kids to try Sandboarding

- Then take a Dune Buggy ride at SandLand or Sand Dune Frontiers (should I make reservations for this?)

- Check out Florence (seals??)

- We'll end the night in Newport for 2 nights at the Newport Hallmark hotel

Sun 7/04 - Newport (plan to stay local)

- Would be open to receiving any suggestions on what to see/do in Newport

Mon 7/05 - Lv Newport ... Do I drive up the coast to Astoria or go towards Portland? (my next major stop is Olympic State Park, WA) I've read Cannon Beach is very nice but seeing it's the July 4th is this wise?

What should I expect driving up 101 between 7/02 - 7/05? Is there any part of the coast line I should bypass?

Thanks

Chris

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

i don't think you can reserve the dune buggies, i believe it's first come first serve.

no such thing as olympic state park...where in olympic national park are you going? that will definitely affect the route you take from newport.

Laguna Niguel...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

We are planning a similar trip but around the 3rd week in July. I am very interested/appreciative of the responses you get in this post.

I'm really interested in going to Tillamook. Call me crazy, but I can't be that close and not see the place where the greatest cheese on earth is made.

Robyn

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,364 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

>...not see the place where the greatest cheese on earth is made. <

Ah, you'll be going to Ireland, then, Donkenstein?

;-)

Welcome both of you to TripAdvisor. Cxrob, you'll be fine up to Gold Beach, but a shame you'll be hurrying through some of the prettiest scenery north of Eureka.

On the 3rd, traffic will start to pick up around Coos Bay or maybe as far south as Bandon. Winchester Bay will be quite busy with the ATV crowd, but not gridlocked. Between Florence and Newport is where you will get bogged down with traffic, but there simply is no other road, so just relax and enjoy the scenery. Waldport has fireworks on the 3rd, so if the tide is out you'll see people with BBQs and bonfires on the bay beach - the fireworks start at 10:00.

Newport's fireworks begin at 10:00 on the 4th, and the town will be busy, busy, busy. Climb the Yaquina lighthouse, take a bay tour, see the sea lions at Port Dock 1 on thebayfront, visit the aquarium and/or marine science center, and oh yes, go to the beach :-)

http://discovernewport.com/

Yachats to the south has a parade at noon and also fireworks at 10:00.

North of Newport the traffic gets bad - Lincoln City is miserably congested ... Tillamook will be congested but not crazy ... Seaside is terribly congested ... Cannon Beach is also really really busy, but 101 bypasses it. Now, as I was writing this, I just re-checked where you are from, so from NYC you may not notice any traffic at all, LOL! If you have some patience, and *expect* some slow bottlenecks through certain towns, then heck, you've come all this way why not see the rest of the coast.

But -- don't attempt this without some form of lodging reservations in hand!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

half-Brit

Thank you for your response and insight to local traffic. Yes, I'm from Long Island NY and I deal with traffic everyday, I'm somewhat numb to it, but was hoping to avoid it during my vacation, but it is what it is I can't change my dates.

We'll be in Newport for the 4th and appreciate your suggestions on what to see/do while there. We were initially going to drive up the coast to Astoria tand head to Olympic National Park...but we didn't want to risk dealing with all the traffic north of Newport, so we're changing course....

From Newport we'll head over to Tillamook. Yep, I too got sucker into wanting to see what all the chat is about their cheese. From there we'll head to Portand for 2 days. Day - 1 we'll drive the Columbia River and Mt. Hood scenic bway. Day 2 - I made reservations with WetPlanet for a rafting trip on the Salmon River.

Do you have any suggestions on what we must see/do during the driver around the loop?

Thanks for all your help.

Chris

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

While you are in Newport - check out the Aquarium, it is very different from others I have visited - with many of the exhibits being outside. Because of when you will be there - it will be pretty crowded. I'd also check out the dock area to just wander around. Mo's is well liked for fish & Chips as well as clam chowder (white only). If it suits your tastes, there is a Ripleys museum there as well.

An interesting dinner option in Newport is the Sylvia Beach Hotel - http://www.sylviabeachhotel.com/ Excellent NW cuisine and a spectacular view. I like that the meal is special enough for foodies, yet welcoming for an average family.

As for the Mt Hood loop - for something a bit different, check out Lost Lake (outside of Hood River) A quiet mountain lake with a great trail around it. It is only 3 miles, and mostly level so easy enough for most to handle. Depending on the time of year, there may even be huckleberries on your way.

Plan on extra time at Tillamook - so you can tour the factory and see how they make your favorite cheese. They also have a store where you can buy all sorts of cheese. They also make some pretty decent ice creams that are available with freshly cooked waffle cones.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,364 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

You can buy Tillamook cheese in just about any grocery store in Oregon, in several varieties. Costco also sells it ;-) Bandon cheese is also available in many stores. Tillamook ice cream in half-gallons (or what passes for half-gallons nowdays!) can be purchased in stores, as well as another Oregon made ice cream, Umpqua.

Edited: 26 June 2010, 06:57
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

Tillamook ice cream is available at McDonald's, too....by the scoop. It might be available in bulk, too, but I've never asked.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

On our Tillamook visit a few years ago (on July4th) we were able to do the self tour, but very few employees were making cheese that day. We had the obligatory grilled cheese sandwich (wasn't as good as I remembered them being when I was a kid)...but found the ice cream cones to be the highlight of the visit. Since we could get the cheese in lots of places in Eugene, we didn't bother getting any there.

California
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

We too are planning the same trip so good to hear all the info.

We were originally planning on after July 4th weekend, keep going backwards and forwards on that........maybe it is better to wait until after all the activities.

We were planning on spending 2 nights in Bandon, just to stay somewhere to start the trip off after driving so far. Do you think one night is enough??

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon Coast itineary for July - need advice

>>>We were planning on spending 2 nights in Bandon, just to stay somewhere to start the trip off after driving so far. Do you think one night is enough??<<<

Depends. Have you given any thought about doing the jetboat trip up the Rogue out of Gold Beach? That might influence where you stay and for how long.