We're getting ready for our trip to the West Coast next week and I'm starting to question my itineary as I'll be traveling up the Oregon Coast from SFO during the 4th of July weekend. Following is what I have planned and I would appreciate opinions/advice on any changes I should consider
Thurs 7/1 - Leaving SFO - stop at Avenue of the Giants - end in Eureka
Fri 7/02 - We'll be leaving Eureka (~7am) to get to Gold Beach around 11am to catch a full day on Jerry's Jet Boat (12-7pm) - I have reservations already made for this. We'll be staying the night at the Beachcomber Inn at Gold Beach
Sat 7/03 - Leave Gold Beach ~9am head towards Newport .
- On the way we plan to stop at Winchester for the kids to try Sandboarding
- Then take a Dune Buggy ride at SandLand or Sand Dune Frontiers (should I make reservations for this?)
- Check out Florence (seals??)
- We'll end the night in Newport for 2 nights at the Newport Hallmark hotel
Sun 7/04 - Newport (plan to stay local)
- Would be open to receiving any suggestions on what to see/do in Newport
Mon 7/05 - Lv Newport ... Do I drive up the coast to Astoria or go towards Portland? (my next major stop is Olympic State Park, WA) I've read Cannon Beach is very nice but seeing it's the July 4th is this wise?
What should I expect driving up 101 between 7/02 - 7/05? Is there any part of the coast line I should bypass?