We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to Park City, Utah

Portland, Oregon
5 posts
Save Topic
Portland to Park City, Utah

My family, husband and 6 & 8 year old kids and I, are travelling from Portland to Park City and are looking for great places to visit along the way. We plan on taking 4 days/nights to get there. I know we want to s!ee Crater Lake but not sure of the best route from there.

Thanks for any help!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland to Park City, Utah

When is this trip? It'll matter with re: to the high country routes.

Have you used Google Maps to see the suggested route? Or, to play with alternative routes?

Do you live in Portland? If so, perhaps leave CL for another trip, though it is certainly do-able.

Why Portland to Park City? That information might give us more to work with.

Lastly, I'd urge you to not drive through what to me is among the most boring drives in the world - across Nevada (which is what you might end up doing if you were to depart from CL.

Edited: 27 June 2010, 03:21
Portland, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland to Park City, Utah

We do live in Portland and are leaving towards the end of July. I would be willing to skip Crater Lake, certainly don't want to end up bored in Nevada! We having vacation plans in Park City, so that is not flexible. I will check out Google maps. Thanks!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland to Park City, Utah

It's about a 15 hour drive, so in 3 or 4 easy driving days you could explore quite a bit.

Some interesting spots for me and in the day with my kids would include:

The drive on I-84 along the gorge to Pendleton and then the climb to La Grande and Baker City areas; beautiful.

Don't know if you have seen the Columbia River Gorge tourist route.

Alternatively, have you explored the Bend area?

http://www.visitbend.com/

Craters of the Moon National Monument, Idaho

http://www.nps.gov/crmo/

Antelope Island State Park (between Ogden and Salt Lake City)

Central and Eastern OR are excellent attractions too often missed by tourists favoring the OR coast. The TAs will provide much more information.

Edited: 27 June 2010, 04:21
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,364 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland to Park City, Utah

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. I'll throw out another idea . . .

South to Salem, then east on Hwy 22 up over the mountains, through Sisters to Hwy 126.

East on Hwy 126, stop at Painted Hills and the fascinating (even for the kids) paleontology center near Dayville. Continue to Baker City and see the Oregon Trail Center there.

Then I-84 to Twin Falls, then a side trip to Craters of the Moon, then on to SLC area.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland to Park City, Utah

2 kids + I-80 = my personal hell

I traveled with a 7 & a 9 yr old across country...the Nevada route would be my last choice of how to go. When I did it, we left lots of time to turn off the main route to head out and see something unexpected. We found actual wagon ruts left by the Oregon Trail (at some Rest Area on I-84) We would get on the road by 7am to give ourselves time to explore as we went. Some things I had planned were great, others not so much. Often it was the unplanned side trips that proved to be the best. You know your kids - what are they interested in? Mine liked the creepy things, bats, ghost towns, and anything to do with Oregon Trail

6. Re: Portland to Park City, Utah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 06:18