We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Fly Drive

Swansea
Level Contributor
119 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Fly Drive

Hi All,

My wife and I are landing in Calgary on the 9Th Sept. We have just over 3 weeks and our intention is to visit Oregon via Waterton, Glacier Nat Park, Idaho. That's the general idea but am completely open to any suggestions any experienced traveler might have to offer.

We have done Banff & Jasper a few times so we are ready to head south.

Am I being to ambitious if I try to visit Oregon, Washington, and Idaho,

(and a little bit of Montana)?

Any suggested tours would be very helpful.

Regards

Lewis

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Fly Drive

3 weeks is quite a while, so it can be done. I'm assuming you are making a loop and returning to Calgary.

The shortest loop would be to drive through eastern Washington and enter Oregon near the Columbia River. The drive through the Columbia River Gorge is always beautiful. Then Mt. Hood, Portland, and the northern Oregon coast.

I would strongly recommend Mt. St. Helens on your way back north.

There are lots of beautiful places in the southern end of Oregon, such as Crater Lake, but I think that would be pushing it.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Fly Drive

What are you interested in seeing? Mostly natural areas, or cities, or?

You might like to post on the Road Trips forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Fly Drive

Hi,

If I understand you correctly, Waterton, Canada is on the western side of Rocky Mountains before Glacier Park, Montana. THen you would like to go to Oregon? And Washington?

You could make a beautiful loop by continuing into Missoula, then LOLO Pass, down into Idaho, crossing the Continental Divide. Then you will be on Highway 12, the ClearWater River and you won't find a more beautiful drive here to Oregon. You will go through WAlla Walla, Washington then onto 84, and that is where you will find the beautiful Scenic Columbia Gorge and Multnomah Falls and all the other things you might like there.

On the way back, you can go up to Spokane and Couer de'Alene, Idaho.

You can mapquest this route and see if you would like it.

min

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Fly Drive

Curious why Calgary. and do you need to get back to Calgary?.

As others have said you can do it, but a lot of miles from Glacier to Oregon Coast.

We really enjoyed Waterton, wel glacier too, but we had been to Glacier maybe 3 times before last trip there when we also included Waterton. It is really more visitor friendy then Glacier, and some great mtn scenery.

would like to hear your response to questions from other posts before saying much more.

5. Re: Oregon Fly Drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 05:17