We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

highway 101

MN
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
highway 101

I am from MN and want to travel highway 101. I have heard Aug is a busy time to travel the coast however I was given a month off of work and want so badly to visit the coast again. I am just unsure where to start my journey I want to end in Olympic national park in WA but I want to see some of Oregons sights as well. I was thinking on starting in Northern CA and going North. Any info on lodging or this trip idea would be greatful!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: highway 101

Where in No. Calif. would you be starting? 101 goes through the must experience redwoods and up the entire length of the Oregon Coast. You might want to turn inland then to Portland, see some of the Columbia Gorge and then go up I-5 (with a 4-hour or so detour to Mt. St. Helens). 101 isn't on the coast through most of Washington, so you might want to get to the Olympic Peninsula more quickly.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: highway 101

Sure agree with Poppa. 101 not interesting in Wash , except for short section near Kalaloch. Columbia Gorge and Mt St helens much more interesting

Not sure what you mean end in ONP. It is a huge park. If Hurricane Ridge, you can no north along Hood Canal to Port Angeles. If Hoh Rain Forest you can head for 101 near Centralia.

If you plan serious hiking many access points.

Curious why you are heading north. Oregon Coast is much better going south, because most pullouts on ocean side

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: highway 101

Hi BordinMinnesota, I know you posted on the Calif forum also, so you'll be starting somewhere around San Francisco maybe?

What is your price for lodging?

Here are some general websites to get you started:

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=2464

http://exploredelnorte.com/

http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/

http://www.nwcoast.com/lighthouses/oregon.asp

MN
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: highway 101

I was not really sure where to start but from the sounds of it I think I will start in washington and head south. I am not looking for any fancy lodging but I will take what I can get since it is so soon. I want to see as much as I can in a couple weeks. it sounds like oregon might be more what I am looking for. I stayed in the dalles 2 years ago for a few months and visited the ocean a few times, I just fell in love with the area and can't wait to return and explore. Thanks for all the info!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: highway 101

If I had time to just wander here is what I would do - Fly into Seattle. Check out the waterfront, the Space Needle, maybe the Underground if there was time. Grab a ferry over to Bainbridge Island. (I love any excuse to hop on one of the ferries) Drive over Port Angeles and spend a night to explore the rain-forest.

Drive back down Hwy 101 south through a bunch of little towns - pretty drive but nothing really to see. Once on I-5 continue south to stop at Mt St Helens - spend a few hours wandering around the volcano.

Leaving there I would head over to Longview to cross into Oregon - heading out to Astoria. Here I would see the column (if physically up to it climbing the tower), Ft Clatsop and possibly Ft Stevens.

Then I would head south on Hwy 101 stopping frequently at anything that looks interesting....all the way down the coast. (these forums have plenty of ideas on this part) Stop heading south at Crescent City, take Hwy 199 over to Jedidiah Smith park where you can walk through the redwoods, head back into Oregon and Oregon Caves, Crater Lake and up I-5 to Portland - taking a day to do the Mt Hood Loop (including Gorge) before flying out of PDX.

I could do it in a week if pushed, or stretch it out to a month :) It depends on how much time you have and how much you like to drive.

MN
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: highway 101

I will be staying in Port Angeles 3 days. Hurricane ridge, lake crescent and 2 beaches, very excited! Day 4 drive to mt. St. Helens spend a good amount of time here then drive to the dalles to sleep. Day 5 drive to multnomah falls for a very short visit then head to astoria visit beach and drive to newport.... does this seem like to much for day 5? I know I can drive it I am just not sure I would be allowing myself much time for stops. Day 6 planned on maybe a beach in newport. Is there any beaches that are calm for kids to play in near here? Day 7 continue on 101 to I have to figure that out yet and soon because we are leaving in a week:) any input always appreciated!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: highway 101

Yes, that's too much for Day 5 I think. Allow 3.5 hours at least, maybe 4 to get from Astoria to Newport ..... and that's not counting any stops. The Dalles to Astoria is about 3 hours plus ...... then add your stop at Multnomah Falls.......

Newport has a long, flat safe beach all along where the town is. There are a number of access points but most require a short walk down a steepish hill. If you park at the Nye Beach Turnaround, the hill down to the sand is much shorter and not steep.

8. Re: highway 101

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 05:17