We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

Germanton, North...
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Oregon for 2011, mostly due to the outdoor activities and the natural beauty as seen in photos. I don't know where to start and would love some itinerary recommendations that include some of our favorite things to do/see: the coast, wine tasting/vineyards, scenic mountain regions, and a river fishing trip (for my husband). I doubt we could spend more than 7 days and would like to get as much in as possible, but would prefer not to move "bases" more than 2-3 times. Any advice? I know this is a broad topic, but I can start with recommendations and then work my way through trip planning with a general idea!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

Hi There Turner-

Sounds like you're on your way to a great trip-

I'm assuming you are coming in the summer 2011? That will make a difference on recomendations,e tc.

You can definetly do what you have outlined without moving 2-3 times.

I'd first start with scanning the TA boards for ideas-esp with titles like 'one week in Oregon' or something like that, also I useally recommend this page- is prety simple but gives you good basic Scenic routes- as you can tell there are lots, but gives you an idea.

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/SBentry.asp

oregon.gov/ODOT/…driving_guide.shtml

http://traveloregon.com is the main tourist website- it has lots of graphics, etc so sometimes its combersome to load-at least on my slow computer.

I'm not big into wine, so I wouldn't spend more than 1/2 day or day on wine tasting-there are just too many other things to see on your first trip.

What type of fishing does your husband want to do or does he just want to go fishing? That will also depend on where to go-and of course knowing what time of year is helpful for fishing.

How much driving do you want to do per day? That would also help- If you dont want to move too much, I would concentrate on the NW part of Oregon- assuming your flying into Portland airport.

Don't you love it when your questions get answered by questions? :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

I agree, unfortunately questions begat questions.

You can start with viewing the coast. But the whole of the coast is beautiful. Only about 1 1/2 hours from Portland. Maybe ocean fishing? Some names to google or get info from would be Rockaway beach, Cannon beach, Nehalem Bay, We only have less than 400 miles of coastline. So it's possible to see it all.

The Columbia Gorge has our famous Multnomah Falls and a whole slew of other things to see and do. It's 80 miles wide along the Columbia River. Lots of wine tasting in the Gorge.

Mt. Hood and Timberline Lodge, a WWII WPA ski lodge can be reached from the Gorge. It's beautiful in the summertime too.

White water rafting sound good? We can suggest that too.

Let us know your preferences.

min

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

What month are you planning to visit?

Also out near Dundee/McMinnville are a number of wineries that aren't too far from the Portland area and are on the way to the coast to Lincoln City.

Portland would probalby be your base to fly into.

Columbia Gorge and on the way to Hood River, you have waterfalls, hiking and wineries outside of Hood River.

Also on the northern coast, you can book a full day fishing trip near Astoria/Warrenton.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,020 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

Most of what we have here is a lot different than what you can find in North Carolina...or anywhere on the east coast, for that matter.

When talking of mountains, we are primarly talking about the Cascades, a chain of volcanic peaks stretching from Mt. Shasta in Northern California through Crater Lake, the Three Sisters, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainier (and dozens of other mountains) all the way up to Mt. Baker and into British Columbia.

We also have our very dramatic Oregon coast, of course, totally unlike the comparatively tame east coast. Then there's the Columbia Gorge, our high desert (think Bend) and our various wine districts.

I think you have a couple of basic choices...to focus primarily on one region or to do a loop through a combination of regions.

One such loop might be Portland-Gorge-Mt. Hood-Bend-McKenzie Hwy (old or year-round, depending on road conditions) thru Eugene/Springfield-Florence/Yachats/Newport and northern coast-back to Portland.

Based in Portland, you can concentrate on just the Gorge (including the Mt. Hood Loop), Mt. St. Helens, the Oregon Coast and a day in the Willamette wine district (a full day trip or hit it enroute to the coast).

This, of course, leaves out all of southern Oregon (Crater Lake, Rogue River, Ashland, southern coast, etc.) and means you'll have to come visit us again a couple of times!

Baker City
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

Will you drive to Oregon or fly to Portland and rent a car?

If you drive you can see some of Eastern Oregon, if you fly, probably not in 7 days.

Germanton, North...
Level Contributor
162 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

Wow, I haven't checked in for a while and I have a lot of catch-up reading! Yes, we are looking at September 2011 and are also considering the Banff/Jasper area of Alberta, Canada as well (both are on our "list"!). Yes, white water rafting sounds like fun as well! My husband typically prefers river fishing to saltwater (although he turns no fishing down). Another yes to the question about flying into Portland and renting a car! I will read through all of these great posts in detail and go from there!! :-) Thanks for the help!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

Oh good OP plans to participate. I do not like answering general questions till I know we will hear more.

I think poppa has a good plan there central coast to Florence then inland to Eugene and Central Oreg, then back to Portland and Gorge, mt St H if you have time.

You say you have at most 7 days. And I think you can fit that in.

I agree with chinookgrl, don't plan much wine time. with fishing and wine you could drop those 7 days to 5 to see things, and that may not be enough

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

White water rafting is locally just outside of the Columbia Gorge in White Salmon, WA. There is an inn there where they have stay and play packages.

www.Innatwhitesalmon.com i believe is the url. Or www.whitesalmoninn.com

Min

9. Re: 1st Trip to Oregon from East Coast....where to start??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2011, 08:16