We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Trip

ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary Trip

My husband and I are planning our 30th anniversary. We are considering driving Oregons coastal highway and stopping by some of the unique bed and breakfasts along the way. We have never been to the west coast and would take any advise you could share . . . best place to fly into, rental cars, weather, must see stops, etc. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Trip

Did you say when it is??

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Trip

How long do you have for your trip?

Best place to fly into is easy - Portland is the only *major* airport in the state.

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
12 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Trip

congrats on 30 years, me and my wife will celebrate 35 years on 10/18/10 we also are flying from kc to Portland pdx i got the best Price on car rental at dollar at pdx

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Trip

I noticed you are fairly new to trip advisor so I will suggest that you tell us a bit more about yourself. It will help to know your budget, interests, time of hear you will be here, how many days you have and any other info you can give us.

Level Contributor
35,452 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Trip

There are many nice bed and breakfasts in Astoria. It is about 2 hours from Portland and on the Columbia River. Clementine's, Britta's Inn, Benjamin Young Inn and Franklin Street Station are a few to check out. www.oldoregon.com is a nice website for this area. Enjoy your trip! :)

ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Trip

We will be coming in early May. We both enjoy the coast and do some light hiking. We are nature oriented and I am an avid photographer. We will be taking 10-15 days for our trip.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Trip

with 10-15 days you can see alot- are you planning on going anywhere else-other than Oregon Coast? May can be still a bit rainy but it shouldnt be horrible downpours or anything- although sometimes it can be sunny!. Probably temperture will be in the 60s in western oregon. How much driving do you want to do?

Alot of people do the circle route, arrive in portland, drive down the coast, through redwoods, up to Crater Lake(although it will probably be LOTS of snow there in May), through Central Oregon/Bend(completely different landscape than Western Oregon), Mt Hood/Columbia River Gorge and back to Portland.

Definetly doable in 10-15 days. people do this in 7 days, but I suspect with your avid photography hobby you could spend 15 days trying to get the perfect shot.

Good intro website to the scenic byways in Oregon is here

…oregon.gov/ODOT/…driving_guide.shtml

click on the legend and you'll find a map

One of the most unique bed and breakfasts on the coast is Heceta Head Lighthouse- I cant imagine a better place for a 30th weddiing anniversary. it books early so if there's a reservation, you'll need to make it like tomarrow.

http://www.hecetalighthouse.com/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary Trip

Forgot to mention that in May the Columbia River Gorge wildflowers should be stupendous...

nature.org/wherewework/…art6809.html

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary Trip

Although none of these places would be considered a B&B, they all serve breakfast and rate very high in my book as romantic inns.

Overleaf Lodge in Yachats: Great beach, wonderful views from every room, good breakfast - www.overleaflodge.com

Tu Tu Tun Lodge in Gold Beach: Serenity and solitude along the Rogue River, good food - www.tututun.com

Benbow Inn in Garberville CA: Historic Inn in the heart of the Redwoods, good food www.benbowinn.com

Early May would still be Low Season, so their prices would not be as steep as they are in the summertime.

ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary Trip

Wow - thanks for the links. This will give us a great starting point. The lighthouse looks like an ideal spot to stay the couple nights that encompass our actual anniversary. We may make our reservations there right away and work the rest of our trip around it.