We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayaking

Creston, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
kayaking

My boyfriend and I are planning a month trip to Oregon and Washington We love to kayak and was wondering if there was a place we could rent kayaks for the month so we could have them and whenever we wanted to drop the boat in pristine waters of your state.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,251 Reviews
Portland, OR
Cascadia Expeditions
Kayaking & Canoeing, River Rafting & Tubing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Siletz Moorage
River Rafting & Tubing, Kayaking & Canoeing
Safari Town Surf
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Wheeler Marina
Equipment Hire, Boat Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kayaking

Portland is surely a kayaking community, that's for sure.

Anywhere down by "the waterfront" area you wil find kayaks and dragonboats. More so in the summer than the winter ,but you will find them year round.

I contacted a friend who is invalved and they said that anyone who rents them for the day, should be able to cut you a deal for the month. If you google "rent kayaks in Portland Oregon," you will find some dealers. Many right on the waterfront where you can put in.

min

Edited: 11 November 2010, 01:31
Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kayaking

Alder Creek Kayaks rent them- also check out Deek and Bryan's Next Adventure store- both in portland.

You can likely rent them at most larger places around Or/Wash so it may be more economical and less cumbersome to carry around. for a whole month.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kayaking

Just as an FYI, if you do decide to only rent one kayak to take around to all the different places, make sure to rinse your boats and other equipment off really well-to avoid transporting aqautic invasive species to new areas.

Klamath Falls Or
Level Contributor
103 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kayaking

If you venture to southern Oregon and Upper Klamath Lake basin, there are some fabulous calm water kayak opportunities with breathtaking scenery and NO CROWDS. ThingsToDoNearCraterLake.com/on-the-water/pa…

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
United States
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kayaking

Would it be cheaper just to buy a kayak off craigslist and then sell it again before you leave (or not sell it even - still might be cheaper than renting)?

I don't know what type of kayaking you do but in a brief glimpse I see some whitewater kayaks for sell for less than $200 on craigslist.

Renting from alder creek (at Jantzen Beach and boathouse) cost $100 for two days and then $25 each day after though I assume they'll give you a better deal for a whole month.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,645 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kayaking

Welcome to the forum.

When are you planning to visit?

"Summer" in many parts of the Pacific Northwest runs from early July through September, although by September nights are getting chilly in the high country.

If you are planning on camping(?) , you will need to reserve your campsites well ahead in many parts of Oregon as summer is busy.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
7. Re: kayaking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2012, 05:36