We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to visit the northeast in the summer

massachusetts
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
best time to visit the northeast in the summer

I am planning a trip to Oregon next summer, visiting and hiking. When, in the span from mid-June to Labor Day, would you say is the best time to go (we'd be there for about 10 days). This is with a pre-teen/young teen.

thanks!!

J

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to visit the northeast in the summer

How serious are you about hiking. If you want to get into the high country of the Wallowas you may find snow still in June

What do you consider NE? Wallowas? Pendleton, La grande etc. John Day?

If you plan on Wallowa Co you may want to ceck when Chief Joseph Days are. Towns can be crowed

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to visit the northeast in the summer

I spent several years in NE oreg in Heppner, Pendleton, La Grande, John Day. Pendleton can get quite hot in August in the 100s. But in the higher places like Enterprise John Day it is not too hot to visit.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to visit the northeast in the summer

"Northeast" might have been a typo, phirl; guessing travelreviews probably meant (Pacific) northwest. In which case, I'd say the best time to come would be mid-July through mid-September, weather-wise at least. But, that's also the busiest time of the year, particularly along the coast, in central Oregon, and the Columbia River gorge, all popular hiking areas.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to visit the northeast in the summer

Yes, I meant Northwest. We'd probably be traveling from Eugene down to the Klamath Falls area.

The mid-July - on recommendation sounds good - I'm more concerned about the weather than crowds.

Thanks!!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,183 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time to visit the northeast in the summer

As far as snow, you would probably be ok even in June, if you are staying in the South of Oregon.. some of that is high mountain, but hotter than, say, Portland.

Min

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time to visit the northeast in the summer

Sounds like you are flying into Eugene? Weather good in mid-July for most of the state. likely 80s-90s on the east side of the cascades and 70-80s on west side of cascades. Assuming you are going to Crater Lake since you are going to K-Falls?

Why are you going to K-Falls? K-Falls is an ok town, but not that exciting-I wouldnt spend more that a few days in this area.

Is this your first trip to Oregon? I'd highly suggest taking an overnight trip to the Coast from eugene...

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best time to visit the northeast in the summer

Dang, Mistletoe you were right. We get so few queries about Eastern Oreg. I was hoping.

Crater lake will have snow into July, maybe. If you plan Crater Lake pick a later date. if you want good access.

8. Re: best time to visit the northeast in the summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2011, 06:32