We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I have 4 DAYS, based in Wilsonville!

Chicago
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I have 4 DAYS, based in Wilsonville!

Actually three, since the fourth day will be spent in the airport.

What are a few things I must do, must see? I am a big fan of pinot noir and plan on stopping by as many vineyards as possible. Would also like to visit the coast.

Any ideas folks?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I have 4 DAYS, based in Wilsonville!

A couple of questions in order to help you. Why based in Wilsonville? Do you have a car?

Chicago
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I have 4 DAYS, based in Wilsonville!

My fiance is there on business. I leave Thursday morning and get into Portland at noon.

Yes I will have a car.

Edited: 30 November 2010, 18:12
Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I have 4 DAYS, based in Wilsonville!

You'll want to head to Newberg, Carlton, McMinnville, and surrounding areas for those winery visits. Easy drive (+/- 30 minutes) from Wilsonville, especially if you know Mtngrl's super-secret route. Maybe she'll chime in, though she seems to be AWOL from here lately. ;-) Post back if you'd like specific winery recs.

For the coast, head up I-5 to hwy 217, which connects further north with hwy 26. Cannon Beach is about 2 hours +/- from Wilsonville. Besides the charming little downtown, and a walk on the beach, you'll want to visit Ecola State Park, just north of town. Spectacular scenery. But if you want more, head south, possibly as far as Tillamook, where you could catch hwy 6 for the return trip.

The other usual Portland area must see is the Columbia River Gorge, beginning from about 30 minutes east of the city. Waterfalls, scenic viewpoints..... well worth the time, if you have it: columbiariverhighway.com/historic_columbia_r… . You might actually squeeze it into the afternoon of your arrival day. Except that it'll be dark by about 4:30pm.

Then, if you find yourself in Portland, Powell Books: powells.com/locations/powells-city-of-books/ .

Wonder what your fiance is doing for dinner. Not many decent choices in Wilsonville. So it'd be nice if you could get into Portland a couple of those nights.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I have 4 DAYS, based in Wilsonville!

Did I mis when??

Is this all just your time, or do you plan some travel with fiance? I would leave coast for when you can both go.

I am central coast guy. I suggest you head to coast via OR-18. If only a day trip visit Depoe Bay Newport and return. Newport in addition to beach has several attractions, 2 lighthouses, aquarium, old town bay front

Depoe bay has Spouting Horn and often you can see whales

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I have 4 DAYS, based in Wilsonville!

I agree with mistletoe's suggestions. I will send you a PM with my backroads directions to the wineries:)

There is one good place in Wilsonville for dinner, Abella Italian Kitchen. It is sort of behind Red Robin. It is quite good and they have a good selection of wines. Otherwise, dining in Wilsonville is pretty much a wasteland. There are the usual burger places like Red Robin and Sonic, but that's about it. The Italian place stands out from the rest in town.

mistletoe--We were in Seattle over the weekend, but yeah, I haven't posted as much on here lately.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
6. Re: I have 4 DAYS, based in Wilsonville!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 07:21