We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HIking & Tasting in Oregon Wine Country

Zionsville, Indiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
HIking & Tasting in Oregon Wine Country

Planning an October trip to Oregon. Flying into Portland. Ideal trip would be to experience Oregon's equivalent to Napa Valley's boutique tastings and fine dining. But we also want to spend the day hiking and working up a thirst and an appetite. First glance looks like Dundee area is the place and the wineries I think we can manage. Need help with the hiking plan. Are day trips to noted hiking trails the way to go? How would you do some serious hiking from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm before replacing all those calories???

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HIking & Tasting in Oregon Wine Country

Hi,

Check out:

***http:www/nwhiker.com ***

and you will find hiking, weather, and lots more for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana. I know a lot about the hikes in the Gorge, but I am unfamiliar the hikes in our famous Pinot Noir country.

We use it at Multnomah Falls visitor information center.

You may like some of the wineries in the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area. That is is where Multnomah Falls is. Marchesi Winery had a nice Sangiovese that was a champion in one of the competitions last year. It is a fun winery to go to. It's in Hood River.

min

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,785 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HIking & Tasting in Oregon Wine Country

You could easily go hiking in Silver Falls State Park in the morning and then head to the Dundee area.

Portland has an amazing array of restaurants so you will be in heaven!

You could also hike in Forest Park, which is the largest urban forested park in the country. Many winding trails through the hills and forest within steps of great restaurants.

Level Contributor
36,173 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HIking & Tasting in Oregon Wine Country

For a very nice fine dining meal in the Dundee area, check out Jory @ The Allison Inn & Spa in nearby Newberg. We stayed at the property recently and very much enjoyed all of our meals there. Have fun! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HIking & Tasting in Oregon Wine Country

Depending on where you're planning to stay, I might even suggest a drive to the coast. If in a Dundee area B&B, you could be hiking up the huge dune in Pacific City within 1.5 hours. Or, on the trail out Cascade Head.

Just so you know, our 8-month-long season of grey (and often rainy) skies typically starts around the middle of October. Also, I'm a little confused by your 9:00am - 3:00pm hiking window, since most wineries open for tasting around 11:00am. ;-)

"We stayed at the property recently...." I guess that would be accurate if you're speaking in geological terms, syrahgirl. ;-)

5. Re: HIking & Tasting in Oregon Wine Country

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 06:18