We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on Summer Itinerary

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions on Summer Itinerary

Hi,

after months of research we have completly revamped our Oregon Trip and wanted to see what you all thought of our plans:

We completely cut out Northern part of Oregon since we have done that on a previous trip and really wanted to see the redwoods.

flight into Eugene

5 nights in Newport staying at the new Greenstone Inn

drive to Crater Lake via Reedsport for 2 nights. The only room we could get was the Loft, so hopefully we will find it was worth the cost. Kids are really excited about staying in "a loft".

4 nights in California Redwoods staying at Ravenwood Motel in one of the suites with a kitchen. Then fly out of Medford.

Let me know what you think and would love dining suggestions for Newport and Crescent City. Do you think 4 nights is too long in Redwoods, we didn't think so since there just seems to be so much to see in the area. We want to see Patrick Point State Park, Praire Creek State Park, Jed. Smith State Park etc...

Thanks for looking it over.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on Summer Itinerary

The biggest hole I see is that you've not included a jet-boat trip up the Rogue River from Gold Beach. If that's of interest, consider continuing down the coast from Newport, spending 2 nights in Gold Beach, then on to the Redwoods. End with the 2 nights at Crater Lake; hopefully you can change your reservation there. That route would involve less back-tracking than what you're now planning. It also means cutting the stay in CA to 2 nights. But honestly, I think you'd all enjoy a day on the Rogue River more than a 3rd day in the Redwoods. And the scenery along the southern Oregon coast is arguably the best of the entire coastline.

By the way, isn't the Ravenwood Motel in Klamath, CA?

Edited: 26 January 2011, 17:13
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on Summer Itinerary

I forgot to mention we are traveling the end of July...

Mistletoe: thanks for your response. We had looked at Gold Beach but decided we didn't want to move every 2 nights for 6 nights and decided we would have to leave the river trip out this time around... which left us with backtracking or one long drive down to Klamath (I did realize Ravenwood is in Klamath but I did not think there was much in that area for dining)!!

Any dining suggestions in Newport or Redwoods areas?

Thanks again

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,894 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on Summer Itinerary

I think it's good :-) Some folks would move around more to see more (if it were us I would) , but I suspect from your comments that this will fit your family well.

Klamath is centrally located to both the north and south redwood attractions, and there is a lot to do in the area. If you want a jet boat ride, there are two or three that go up the Klamath River. Google Klamath jet boat. We're usually in that area in the off season so haven't done it yet. But we'll be there in June this year so hopefully will this summer!

Dining in Klamath? Do you like Subway? Because that is your choice. Well, there is one other little hamburger joint that to be honest looks none too clean from the outside. Oh, I see they do have a review from Aug 2010 - we were there in April 2010 so maybe it's been cleaned up some? There is also a lodge upriver a bit but I've not been inside:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g32564-Klamath_C…

However, it's only about 20 minutes to Crescent City which has a variety of dining choices, although nothing that is upscale.

I have a bunch of websites for the area that have attractions you might be interested in - have I given those to you yet, AZBeth?

Here are some things to do in Crescent City and Eureka, and Trinidad is worth a visit. Stop by Murphy's and get some lunch to go... tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33188-d14…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32363-c144314/Eureka…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

Newport restaurants - There is a wide variety in Newport, what type of places are you looking for?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions on Summer Itinerary

Thanks for all the great links... really appreciate it!!

I think if it was just my husband and I we would move around more but with kids, it just seems a more hectic moving around so much. Plus we really like to get a feel for the places we go to see instead of just a quick passing glance...

Thanks again

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions on Summer Itinerary

I don't like moving from hotel to hotel either, so I get that. But with the added drive times for back-tracking, and the sights and activities you'll be missing, I'm not sure what you're gaining in this instance. Just my opinion, but you asked for them. Did you consider 4 nights in Newport, 2 in Gold Beach, and 3 in the Redwoods?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions on Summer Itinerary

We have spent some time thinking over these suggestions and do appreciate them but for a few reasons we are going to stick with our original plan since Crater Lake is booked if we move to end of trip and we honestly don't have a big interest in Gold Beach or the jet boat tour,. And we are a family that likes to relax a little on vacation so staying 5 nights in Newport will give us some time to just play on the beach. And when I mapped the drives out, the times spent traveling between locations was just about the same even with the backtracking between Klamath and Medford.

The question I now have is that Google Maps shows the shortest route to CL from Newport is through Corvalis down the 5 connecting to OR99 to 97, but would it be worth the extra 2 hours to go down to Reedsport and over that way? I have heard how beatuiful that drive is but do you think it will be worth the extra time with 2 kids asking "are we there yet" over and over!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions on Summer Itinerary

"......do you think it will be worth the extra time with 2 kids asking "are we there yet" over and over!!"

I think you answered your own question here. ;-) Honestly though, I think your best reason for taking hwy 38 from Reedsport would be Dean Creek Elk Preserve. But if that route adds 2 hours to what will already by a 4.5 - 5 hour drive, I'd pass. Maybe you'll see bear up at Crater Lake instead. ;-)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,894 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions on Summer Itinerary

>> through Corvalis down the 5 connecting to OR99 to 97 <<

Umm, Hwy 99 doesn't connect with Hwy 97. Could you mean Hwy 58?

What does GoogleMaps give you for segment times? (I use Mapquest)

I can tell you that Hwy 20 Newport to Corvallis will have lots of traffic. Lots. Lots of trucks. And road construction at least at one end. It is not a scenic drive.

As mentioned, there are the elk at Reedsport that might be fun. Hwy 38 is a beautiful drive along the river. There is a butterfly pavillion at Elkton - don't know if that is of any interest?

Then you'd cut south at Elkton on Hwy 138, a brief bit on I-5, then pick up 138 again. That's a lovely drive along the river.

I've driven both routes more than once (parts of both routes hundreds of times) and I think the time difference would not be as much as 2 hours, not counting stops of course.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions on Summer Itinerary

Update Question:

So I think we have decided we will take the more scenic route to get to Crater Lake SR38 to SR138 etc)... but now wondering if we should cut one night from Newport (currently staying 5 nights) and stop in Roseburg or Steamboat Inn for the night so we would have more time to stop and see some of the waterfalls or just push on through to Crater Lake.

And if you think we should stop for 1 night should we stay in Roseberg or stay at Steamboat Inn... we will be traveling with our daughters, 6 and 9 years old and wondering if Steamboat Inn is child friendly.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions,

Beth

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,004 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions on Summer Itinerary

If your kids like caves, you could check out the Oregon Caves on the way to the Redwoods from Crater Lake (I assume you will be cutting over at Grants Pass).