We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coast and Winery Itinerary

New York
Level Contributor
458 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
Coast and Winery Itinerary

My husband and I (without the kids) are planning a trip to oregon in August. We plan on flying into and out of Portland. We would love to drive the coast and then take a day to visit some wineries. We love to see lighthouses, beaches, wineries, small towns, etc. We are arriving on Saturday and coming home on Thursday. I've read about so many different options, I don't know where to start. Does anyone have any ideas for a coastal itinerary from Saturday to Wednesday and then Wednesday go to a few wineries and then head to the airport for a Thursday AM flight? I would love to get info on the best towns and the nicest resorts/ hotels (no motels). thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coast and Winery Itinerary

We'll eventually get this right! ;-)

How about Sat. and Sun. nights on the north coast (choose Manzanita or Cannon Beach), then head down the coast for Mon. and Tue. nights (Depoe Bay, Newport, or Yachats). Get an early start Wed. morning, taking hwy 99W north from west of Salem to McMinnville, which is kind of a gateway town to wine country. Should be a 2 - 3 hour drive. Most wineries open around 11:00am, so you could taste for the entire afternoon before heading into Portland for the night.

Oh, and lodging....

Cannon Beach: Ocean Lodge or Stephanie Inn

Depoe Bay: Whale Cove Inn

Yachats: Overleaf Lodge

Edited: 02 February 2011, 18:14
New York
Level Contributor
458 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coast and Winery Itinerary

Perfect, this is exactly what I need. I love to get people who know the area's suggestions as I have NO IDEA of the best itinerary. Thanks for your help

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coast and Winery Itinerary

Mistletoe's suggestions would fit your needs perfectly, I think.

For August, you'll need to book your lodging well ahead. Not having any idea of your price range, if the above suggestions are too pricey, there are many other options. Just let us know :-)

Two lighthouses in Newport, one off shore at Cannon Beach, one teeny private one in Yachats. There are dozens and dozens of very picturesque places to stop and "ooh & aah" at the views and of course lots of beaches!

New York
Level Contributor
458 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coast and Winery Itinerary

Thanks. I plan on starting to book by march. As for prices, as long as they are not 500 a night I will be OK. I want to stay in a nice hotel/resort

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coast and Winery Itinerary

I think Stephanie Inn is approaching $500/night. So you might try Ocean Lodge or Surfsand Resort (Stephanie Inn's more family friendly sister property).

Whale Cove Inn's rates might make you swallow hard, too. Around $400.

No budget issues at Overleaf Lodge, but it's not the same kind of property as Stephanie Inn or Whale Cove Inn. Its best selling point is the setting, which I like better than any other coastal lodging's.

Level Contributor
34,712 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coast and Winery Itinerary

We just returned from Cannon Beach, it's a beautiful coastal town. The Ocean Lodge and The Stephanie Inn are both located in Tolvana Park, a beautiful area of the coast. In nearby Seaside, you may want to check out The Inn of the Four Winds, located on the promenade in Seaside and just steps from the sand.

Another small town that we really love (it's #2 right on Budget Travel for the Coolest Small Town in America) is Astoria, about 30 minutes from Cannon Beach on the Columbia River. The Cannery Pier Hotel is gorgeous, with river views and many nice amenities. www.oldreogon.com Have fun! :)

7. Re: Coast and Winery Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 07:23