We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

Gold Beach.

Trying to get ideas in case we decide to go from the airport directly to the south coastal area. As this make more sense for us since the airline we travel (SW) last flight back to the east coast leaves Portland at 11 am - so it will take less time to get there from the central or northern coastal area.

Then we will travel north up the coast for hoping 5 days -if I weren't so picky about where we lay our heads at night we could probably do more days but I love quaint B & Bs as opposed to something less expensive.

Thanks for your asistance while trying to plan this trip. Oh looks like we won't be coming till mid -September as hubby should be good to travel by then with his new prothesis.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but I don't know why you wouldn't stick with your plan, and add the night at the end of the trip. Am I missing something?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

I don't quite get it either, but....

http://historicwolfcreekinn.com/default.aspx

or

There are several B&Bs in Roseburg. Here are some; do a google search for more:

www.bedandbreakfast.com/roseburg-oregon.html

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

I am confused about what you are asking. Why would you want to stay somewhere between the airport and Portland? half way is 10 minutes to either place but there aren't really any decent hotels at the half way mark.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

Okay, I see I misread your post. You are wanting a place between PDX and Gold Beach.

You are much better off meandering south along the coast than heading down I-5 and then back north along the coast.

But I think I still don't quite understand your post. Are you hoping to travel from Gold Beach up the coast for 5 days? And I guess I don't understand why if you would "do more days" you would not be able to stay in quaint B&B's.

Maybe I am just too tired to try to comprehend posts tonight. ;-)

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

Didn't mean to confuse anyone - some of you stated earlier that it would be a very long day to come from the east coast then travel from Portland to the south coast. So I thought I would ask for a suggestion of where to stay between the two.

I am thinking of starting our trip from the south and traveling north as the last flight out of Portland for us to head home on the airline we travel is 11 in the morning. The north / central coast areas are somewhere between 2 - 3 hours to Portland which is more reasonable.

Do you go through the wine region while traveling from Portland to Gold Beach?

My comment about staying in a B & B is when I look at places to stay I always fall in love with the more expensive places costing up to $300 per night. If I could find places I thought I would like in the 150 range we could stay a few more nights - trying to keep the lodging part of the budget on this trip around $1,300.00. Which seems to be coming out to about 5 nights lodging with the places I would like to stay at so far. I would prefer to come for 7-10 nights but don't think that is doable within that budge price.

Again sorry for the confusion - I really appreciate your assitance and opinions.

Thanks again.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

You have completely cleared up my confusion so thanks for that! Sometimes it helps to post a bit more info because we don't always connect a new post you have made to an old one.

I am going to throw a little wrench into your plan. I think you would be much better off flying into Portland and renting the car to head to the coast immediately, depending on what time you get in. Rather than trying to find a hotel between the Portland Airport and Gold Beach, head straight to the north coast, which is less than 2 hours away as long as you don't hit rush hour. You didn't state what time you arrive in Portland.

It is a lot more enjoyable to head DOWN the coast rather than UP the coast. the ocean will be on your right and you can pull over and get back on the hwy a lot easier than if you are heading up and trying to get back on to the hwy through 2 lanes of traffic.

You can definitely find nice accomodations for less than $300 a night at the coastl, especially if you stay in some of the less touristy towns. Why not split the difference and at least add a couple more days on your trip. Once you get here you might regret not having more time. The Oregon Coast is truly magnificent!

Shoot back up I-5 on your way home and stay one night in Portland. We have a great city here!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

Sure agree do the coast southbound. If you want a place overnight before flight suggest Hood River, an hour out of PDX. You can do the Gorge on way to Hood River, day before.

You can get back from Brookings to PDX up I-5 in a day. going to crescent City. Giving you 3 days on the coast.. depending on when you get in

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

Getting from the central coast to PDX for an 11:00am flight will be no bargain either, considering there's a good chance you'll have to deal with some rush-hour traffic. How do you feel about being up and on the road at around 6:00am?

So my recommendation would be to stick with the southbound direction, and figure out a way to spend the five nights you'd planned on the coast. This is a long ways to come for any less. Then spend a sixth night in Portland or near PDX, in more budget-friendly accommodations.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

Driving such a long distance to make an 11:00 am flight would make me paranoid the whole time! Too many 'what if' scenarios. Though it would be nice to get as much beach time as possible. I agree with other posters perhaps look into staying at Hood River or someplace fun in Downtown Portland.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay half way between the airport in Portland and

Whoa - you have an 11 AM flight out of Portland, but you're thinking of staying your last night at the coast?

Not a good idea, in my opinion! Far easier and less stress to simply stay somewhere around the airport your last night, get up and have a leisurely breakfast, and then a 10-30 minute drive to the airport (depending upon exactly where you stay).

There are many nice B&Bs along the coast, with most of them falling in the $130 - $200 price range. True, there are also a few outrageously pricey (IMO!) places such as the Stephanie Inn, Tu Tu Tun and Whale Cove Inn.