We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

I see most of the wineries I've looked at have Pinot Noir - I am not sure if I am looking in the wrong area for some that do Riesling.

Have never had Pinot Noir - can you describe it for me?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

www.oregonwines.com/varietalguide.php…

You might start with this website for Riesling. Click on "Home" and you can start over in your search for wineries and info.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

Thanks oregonpappa after entering my post I found an oregonwine.org website that listed some wineries also.

Thanks again.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

A couple I think you'd like that are in the same general area are Anne Amie, and Trisaetum, where the Riesling might be the best I've had anywhere.

Pinot Noir is the predominant grape in French burgundy. Oregon pinot noirs though, are typically more fruit-forward than their French counterparts, often exhibiting cherry, plum and berry flavors. I'm biased of course, but French burgundy has never done much for me. ;-)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

Try Brooks Winery in Amity OR. The Ara Riesling is really dry and very well made.

Baker City
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

"Have never had Pinot Noir - can you describe it for me?"

Everything you need to know is in the movie "Sideways." Rent it and learn.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375063/

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

Marchisi's winery in Hood River has a similar wine called Moscato. It is a little more aromatic.

The Columbia River Gorge has 40 wineries in 40 miles (on both the Oregon and Washington sides near Hood River)

min

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

I'm not much of a wine drinker, but when I do have some, it's usually a Riesling or Mueller Thurgau. Both are light, fruity white wines - some call them "sweet". Some Rieslings, including some of the Oregon ones, are much dryer, closer to a Chardonnay.

Pinot Noir is a dark red wine, nothing at all like a riesling. Ugh, not for me at all!

Many "wine snobs" look down at these wines, but if you like light fruity wines, don't worry about what anybody else thinks, just drink what you enjoy LOL :-)

I think Willamette Valley Vineyards, Oak knoll, Bridgeview and Amity all make reislings. I think they may have Muller Thurgau also, plus Chateau Benoit produces a lot of Muller Thurgau.

These websites might help you:

http://www.oregonriesling.org/members.html

snooth.com/articles/…

___

Edit:

I was typing as min was posting. Moscato is a good idea - very light and fruity, on the sweet side :-)

Edited: 20 May 2011, 19:15
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

Yes, thank You Half Brit, and it's so pretty there. (I just posted some pictures of the last time we were there at Marchisi's, can you tell my DH took them?.... I had forgotten we had them until sorting pics last night.)

Agree about most Pinot Noirs (nasty puckery) but it always depends on who made it and what is for supper.

min

Edited: 20 May 2011, 20:41
9. Re: Suggestion on where to find a winery with Riesling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 08:23