We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

Colorado
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

Hi all,

I am thinking of driving the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway next week ( April 17th) spending 2 days then looping out to the coast. The question I have is this, are the waterfalls running in this area? I know it will be cool and rainy, however, we are looking to photograph the falls and really enjoy traveling during the " off season"... Any good hikes? Will they be open?

We have great gear for spring hiking ( as we live in colroado) just wondering how the "scenery " is at this time of year!

Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

From where to where on the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway? Roseburg to Diamond Lake? The forecast for the coming week is rain and snow down to 2,000 ft. Waterfalls will be flowing just fine at the lower elevations, but the weather might make for difficult conditions. Winter waterfall photos can be quite dramatic and beautiful. It takes a lot to actually freeze a waterfall (except for the smaller ones), but the freezing mist tends to frame the waterfalls in constantly changing white coats.

At the higher elevations, you will need chains.

Check www.tripcheck.com for the current and forecasted conditions before you go.

Colorado
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

thanks! i was thinking chains may be needed! Thinking of driving down from Portland staying near Roseburg... Are there Waterfalls near there? maybe at lower elevation? Then either making the full loop of the byway and ending in Grants Pass, or just heading to the southern coast..

I am pretty open to anything so any other suggestions I would love, I have seen the waterfalls near Columbia River Gorge and I have heard there are so many nice Waterfall in Oregon.. So just looking for a spot to get a few good shots and maybe a few hikes in!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

Silver Creek Falls SP near Salem is very good 7 waterfalls if you don't mind hiking.

Colorado
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

Thanks that sounds perfect! I am guessing it is a lower elevation and I dont need to be to worried about the roads leading to the park??

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

Silver Cr Falls is lower elevation than high points on Rogue-Umpqua SB.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_211.php

oregonstateparks.org/images/pdf/silverfalls_…

http://web.oregon.com/hiking/silver_falls.cfm

There are some waterfalls along the scenic byway (Tokatee, for example), but I think Phirl's suggestion makes a lot more sense for you. Silver Falls State Park is about a half-hour east of Salem on good roads...with a large parking lot and welcoming lodge that you'll appreciate at the end of your outing, especially if you're wet and cold (think hot chocolate, for example).

The waterfalls will be in full flow and the great thing about the trail is that it goes under and behind a few cascades...giving you an infinite number of photo opportunities (just don't back up too far to get a shot in some places or you'll become part of the flow yourself).

This is a favorite of all the hikers I know. The hike down to the first waterfall (South Falls) is paved and heavily traveled, but then the trail become a really beautiful forest trail. The firs are evergreens, of course, but the deciduous trees are beginning to show some color and the early spring wildflowers are awakening. You'll love it and it isn't far from Portland and poses none of the weather issues that higher altitudes do (except for rain).

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

While I really loved Toketee Falls after talking my husband into a Saturday drive that included Crater Lake, I would agree that Silver Falls would offer so many waterfalls within a small area and a 20 minute or so drive from I-5. The parking lot for Toketee is just a little parking lot. They have put in a great wooden walkway/bridge that gives you a nice viewing place at the end and the waterfall is very cool, but at this time of year you won't have many other places close by to drive to without dealing with the snow.

Colorado
Level Contributor
175 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

Thank you all so very much! Sounds like Silver Creek Falls it is!! This was very helpful! Any advice on the drive south from Salem through Grants Pass toward Cresent City? ( 199) I have been told the southern Oregon Coast is stunning and this is the best way to access it!

Ps.. Spend lots of time in your state for work ( fight attendant) and everyone is always so full of info and hospitable!! : )

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

If you wait until Grants Pass to cut over on 199 to Crescent City you'll miss all of the Oregon Coast! Depending on your time limits, you can cut over to the coast from lots of locations. Others can suggest a variety of "must" sees on the coast. In my opinon, you should just go from Salem via 22 and 18 to Lincoln City or one of the routes through Albany/Corvallis. The area from Yachats to Florence and then the southern coastline are the most scenic.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway ( April)

Are you continuing south or looping back north up to Portland?