We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heceta Head Lighthouse Closing for Repairs

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Heceta Head Lighthouse Closing for Repairs

kxl.com/Lighthouse-Gets-Makeover-Starting-In…

Just heard on the radio this morning that the Heceta Head Lighthouse will be closing for a couple of months for repairs beginning Aug. 1st. This was the only thing I could find online with a quick Google search.

This is the most photographed lighthouse on the west coast and people will still be able to get shots like the one showon on this website, from the turnout just south of Heceta Head...but I don't know if the lighthouse itself will have scaffolding all over it.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heceta Head Lighthouse Closing for Repairs

Closing for two years? Yikes. Dengay will probably have more info for us . . .

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heceta Head Lighthouse Closing for Repairs

2 years is the worst case scenario, I think. That probably pertains to being able to tour the structure. If the parking area and trails are open in a couple of months, as expected, people will at least be able to explore the promontory, connect to Heceta Beach and Hobbit Beach...and look at the lighthouse from closer than a mile or so down the coast.

Puyallup, Washington
Level Contributor
104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heceta Head Lighthouse Closing for Repairs

I don't feel so bad about starting our Coast drive from Florence now.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heceta Head Lighthouse Closing for Repairs

Nope, sorry hB. Though I am VERY happy to hear that this Oregon Coast icon is FINALLY undergoing much needed structural repairs, I retired almost two years ago and am "out of the loop".

I can tell you that when Oregon State Parks (OPRD) took over operations of the lighthouse in March of 1994, no money for operations or staffing came with it. Because of this, other than the lens restoration which the United States Coast Guard paid for prior to turning over responsibility for aid to navigation to OPRD in 2001, only critical maintenance items have been addressed. Two structural assessments, one in 2001 and another in 2007 indicated the structure itself was in danger of failing due to water penetration.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heceta Head Lighthouse Closing for Repairs

Ran out of time to edit------ugh!!

Additionally, the work that is being done on the west parking lot and access trail is being funded by a grant through a special program of the Federal Highway Administration to improve roads and access within scenic forest corridors. Of the MANY projects that were submitted for the area between Yachats and Heceta Head, this is the only one that was selected for funding!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,330 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heceta Head Lighthouse Closing for Repairs

Not sure I understand Stampincat's comment about where to start their coast drive. The Heceta Head area between Florence and Yachats is one of the most beautiful coastal drives and should not be missed. You can still get the great view of the lighthouse, hike the old Hobbit Trail and enjoy what is now called Hobbit Beach, camp at Washburne SP and explore Cape Perpetua...all between Florence and Yachats. The closing of the lighthouse shouldn't change any travel plans.

7. Re: Heceta Head Lighthouse Closing for Repairs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 05:22