We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

California
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

Does this sound right?

According to Yahoo Maps it says it's 97 miles and takes 2 hours.

Of course I know this is without stops...

Also we're only going to have one night around Brookings to sightsee. Is it worth the extra time to drive up as far as Gold Beach? I'm seeing a few state parks on the way... Harris and Samuel H. Boardman parks?

We'd really love to see some Oregon coast while we have the chance! :-)

After that we're heading down to the Redwoods.

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers! :-)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

Depending on traffic, yes, it's about two hrs.

Harris Beach State Park is nice, but it's not something I would go out of my way to see. Samual Boardman, on the other hand, I would! Problem being, Boardman is a 12 mile long linear park, primarily west of hwy 101, so choosing exactly where to stop, when you are short on time, can be challenging.

Within Sam Boardman State Scenic Corridor you will find some spectacular vistas, secluded cove beaches and forested sea stacks. It is arguably the most beautiful place along the Oregon Coast!

California
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

Okay, so if we got to the Brookings area (still need to book a place) around 4 pm, we would still have till sunset (around 8:30 up there?) to drive along the coast with a few stops?

We are doing a bit of a whirlwind I know, but we tend to do that! LOL... Kinda like wine tasting. We hop from place to place and if we really fall in love, we go back to enjoy a whole bottle! :-)

It's how we got hooked on Sedona after our whirlwind in the Southwest. Been back 3 times now, same B&B (Boots and Saddles... HI SAM AND IRITH!) we barely do a thing except take walks, eat and enjoy the Whirlpool tub! :-)

Thanks for the info!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

Two hours maybe plus a bit. There is plenty of RV and truck traffic on 199 and some stretches have no pasing lanes. Once you get almost to Crescent City, you can take the north bank cutoff - I think it's 197 - which saves a little time, but then you'll miss the redwood section on 199. You wind through several miles of good sized redwoods on your way to 101.

It's getting dark about 9:00 now.

There is only one hotel on the ocean in Brookings, that's the BW Beachfront Inn. Fantastic location, south wing is slightly newer and non-pet. If you like microbrews, try Wild River Pizza... tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

>> Is it worth the extra time to drive up as far as Gold Beach? <<

Yep.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

Oh, reading material for the redwoods, LOL. If you don't do anything else, drive Howland Hill Road:

http://www.exploredelnorte.com/

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

redwoodhikes.com/Jed%20Smith/Jed%20Smith.html

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=476 (Fern Canyon)

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=2464 (drive thru trees)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32363-c144314/Eureka…

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

It certainly is worth the time to drive to Gold Beach and stop a time or two at Boardman SP. I can't remember my favorite places to stop. but 2 or 3 are quite good

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_77.php.

That may be site for Saqmuel Boardman SP. If not I suggest you find it. has a good map and description of stopping points. Arch Rock and Thomas Cr Bridge are two of my favs, but there are more. I suggest you not start stopping as you go north or you will run out of time. Perhaps you should go to Gold beach and turn around and maybe you will have better idea of where you want to stop. Southbound tends to be better on coast anyway. since most pulloffs are on ocean side.

California
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

Thank you everyone for the advice!

I'm kind of thinking we could find a place around Smith River so we can refresh, and spend the late afternoon/evening going up and down the Brookings/Gold Beach area.

That way in the morning we're already closer to the next days exploration destinations!

Thanks for the links! Have some more research to do!

One thing I'd really love to see is Fern Canyon I think it's near Trinidad?

Wish I had 3 weeks now!! :-P

Edited: 02 June 2011, 06:57
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

Fern Canyon is off Davison Road just north of Orick, which is about 10-12 miles north of Trinidad. This link will give you exact directions:

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=476

It's been rainier than usual this year around Eureka, so use caution when fording the streams unless you're driving a high clearance vehicle.

California
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

Oh man! Sounds a bit (gulp) adventurous...

Well, we have a Hyundai Santa Fe... it's been a pretty good vehical, but sometimes it drives like a walrus on roller skates. It does have a better clearance than a regular car though.

We'll see, I'm hearing folks planning on going into canyons and such need to look out more for flash floods this year, but maybe that's mostly where there's been snowpack that hasne't been melting due to the unusual cool spring we've been having.

Sure looks pretty in there though!

Thanks for the link! We'll look for a visitors center to see what they say as well.

Cheers!

10. Re: Grants Pass to Brookings in 2 hrs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 14:16