We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week trip report with teens!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 week trip report with teens!

We had an awesome 2 wk.trip mid July to end. Kids are 15 and 17. Weather never got in the way, and was just beautiful most of time. I'm not sure how to go about this report but here it goes-

First 3 nights Ocean Lodge, Cannon Beach- Loved 1st floor room for easy in and out access to the beach. Free time we spent reading on porch, walking the beach, and bought a trick kite and frisbee. One day went to Ecola State Pk. and spent hours at Indian beach-tidepooling, climbing rocks on both right and left sides of beach, and helping a man fish? for razor clams. He was so friendly! Key at Ecola, lower tide!

The other day we went to Oswald West St. Pk. and watched surfers, and some tidepooling on right side, with waterfall. We liked the hike down to this beach. Also to Hug point, which kids enjoyed climb to top of small falls best. Lunch this day at market in Manzanita. Awesome homemade enchiladas. Took a quick peek at Nehelam Bay St. Pk. Saw mom deer and fawn.

Cannon beach dinners at Warren Pub (walkable and fine), Lumberyard (s'more skillet desert!) and Irish Table (great atmosphere and food-desserts lacking). Pizza-a-feta for lunch (ok). We also walked around town and most enjoyed the enthusiasm of ancient coin shop owners.

Next stop, Yachats.....

Level Contributor
35,228 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week trip report with teens!

Sounds very nice! Did you have lunch in Manzanita at Left Coast Siesta? We recently enjoyed a nice lunch outside at Corner Grille in Cannon Beach. The Farmer's Market was going on across the street which was fun to walk through after our meal. Thanks for the report back! :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week trip report with teens!

Left early on way to Yachats. 1st stop-Depoe Bay Whale watching ctr. Nice exhibits, ranger very nice and informative. Next, Cape Foulweather-did see a small boat slowly following a large grey whale here. Devil’s punchbowl not too memorable due to low tide. Yaquina Head Lighthouse gave a nice tour, but took longer than expected to get through. We had lunch in Nye Beach, Chowder Bowl. Lastly we walked around Newport riverfront and saw a lone Sea lion basking at the pier.

Check in to Overleaf Lodge for 2 nights. Bigger and less personal than Ocean lodge, but better b’fast choices. We used the indoor soaking tubs and walked the trail in front. Dinner at Drift Inn, short wait and good.

For the full day here-visitors ctr. at Cape Perpetua, hiked Sitka Spruce trail (2 mi.) (tip- if don’t have time, you can drive to end of campground and take the trail on right for a 3 minute walk to the tree.) Too foggy for anything else at the cape, maybe tomorrow. Further down the road we found the Hobbit trail and walked to the beach and back. The kids had no interest in another lighthouse tour, so we went to viewpt. to see Haceta Head. Ended up in Florence (Bay Street Diner?) for lunch and couldn’t get a sandrail dune buggy tour until 6:30, so we rented sand boards on 101 S. of bridge and took them to Honeyman St Pk. The kids had a blast, and my husband and I enjoyed the views, just beautiful!

Sand Rails-kids favorite activity of trip, but I got sick, even with Dramamine. Thank goodness we only took the ½ hr. trip. We didn’t get back to Yachats until 8:30, where I proceeded to pass out.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week trip report with teens!

On our way to Gold Beach for 2 nights. Beautiful sunny day, so we stopped by Devil’s churn (low tide but still pretty), and Cape Perpetua scenic view.

Found Oregon Dunes visitor info. and spoke to ranger there who recommended part of the John Dellenback trail. At the back of Eel creek campground there is a short (1/4 mi.) forested path that leads to wide open dunes. I think this is part of JD trail that was recom.

On to Bandon for lunch at Bandon Baking and deli. Great cookies! We walked around the old town area for a little while, then off to Tu Tu Tun on the Rogue River.

Daughter and I took the Tu Tu kayaks out on river. We found the resident harbor seal who checked us out for a while. Beautiful property, great service, decent food. Loved. Next day, jet boats picked up husband and kids at the Tu Tu dock for a full day trip up the river. I didn’t want to risk getting motion sick again, so took a pass. Went to town to do laundry and had a massage in the outdoor cabana instead. Liked reading about the Mary D. Hume boat wreck too. Lovely and relaxing 2 nights.

A long day ahead as we make our way to Crater Lake Lodge, via the Redwoods, for the night. Started by making a few stops at Samuel Boardman Park; Arch Rock Natural Bridges, and randomly, Lone Ranch Beach, which we loved. I discovered the kids and I liked stops where we were walking and playing within the sites, rather than just viewing them at a distance.

Found Howland Hill Rd. and was blown away as we made our way through the huge redwoods. Walked around Stout Grove. Stunning. Long drive to Crater Lake.

When we arrived at CL Lodge it was crowded and a huge culture shock from the serenity we have felt up to now. Walked rim for a while and settled in for an expensive and very average dinner at the lodge. Oh well, only poor value in the 2 weeks, not bad. We were up early to make our way around the rim for the boat tour, only to find that the only breakfast available is a full sit down meal in the lodge. We didn’t have time for that so, with my charming persuasive ways I convinced a worker to get us something to go. She came back with 4 cold English muffins in a box, with butter on the side. I accepted graciously, and dumped them immediately. Chex mix for b’fast it will be!

It was great being on the lake and seeing just how large and far everything is from that perspective. The hike out was long and hot, but rewarding. Off to Bend…..

Level Contributor
35,228 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week trip report with teens!

Awesome! Thanks for the nice report! :).

Level Contributor
35,228 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week trip report with teens!

Sounds like a great time! :)

Edited: 06 August 2011, 05:30
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week trip report with teens!

So glad you drove Howland Hill Road - it is amazing, isn't it?

Now you see why some of the regular posters here are sort of lukewarm about Crater Lake . . .

Sounds as if you had a wonderful time so far. Waiting for more :-)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week trip report with teens!

After our boat ride, we made our way to Bend. Stopped at High Desert Museum and enjoyed a nice walk around. Well done and worth the stop. We checked in at St. Francis School McMenemins property for 2 nights (the Art House in back). The kids were glad to be back in “civilization”. We went to Deschutes Brewery for dinner, about a 20 min. wait.

Next day, walked through Drake Park and then to search for Sparks Lake on the cascades scenic byway. Did not take the hike around the lake but spent time at boat launch area with beautiful views of Broken top and South Sister across the lake. Small lava field right there made for some good climbing. We were so low on gas, we had to coast downhill back to Bend. Just another mini adventure along the way. Daughter and I went shopping at Old Mill and got pedicures. Husband and son went back toward mt. Bachelor to golf at a resort. Later hubby and I ate at Zydeco (delicious) and kids found a noodle shop and walked around. We all loved Bend and the area. We did not get to Newberry Crater, or Lava butte or caves, but I figured with Crater Lake, Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens in our plans, we had our fill of volcanoes.

On our way to Timberline lodge for one night. Stopped for look at Trillium Lake (a marked turnoff on left just before turnoff for Timberline Dr.) and mistakingly found the reflection of Mt. Hood in the lake without taking the trail around the lake. Go to boat launch and take trail to left a few hundred yards. Bam! Kids were excited to go to the Ski Bowl which is in Government Camp. It’s a collection of Alpine slides, ziplines, bungee jumps and other various activities in 2 locations. When we arrived we were about the only folks there. A little shabby and carni like, but they enjoyed the Bungee, oversized hamster ball, and alpine slides. 45.00/person later. In and out in 2 hours. Headed up to Timberline after lunch in Gov. Camp in hopes of doing Zig zag Canyon hike. Too much snow, no go. We enjoyed the pool, the views, some casual snacks for dinner, and a late night viewing of The Shining in our room. Exterior shots of Timberline Lodge were used in this classic.

Woke early to make our way to Full Sail Brewery in Hood River for lunch. We stopped on our way at the Lavender Farm (great photos of lavender with Mt. Hood in background) and Rasmussen Farms, where we got some cherries. After lunch at Full Sail, started our trek to Portland via Columbia River Gorge. 1st stop-Event park to see wind and kite surfers. We also stopped at Horsetail Falls, Bonneville Dam, Multnomah Falls, Latourell Falls, Vista House and Women’s Forum. The fish counter man at the Dam was super friendly and talked to us for a while. We liked view from Womens forum better than Vista house. Got into Portland, Hotel Monoco, just in time for free happy hour, featuring Voodoo donuts and one of it’s owners. Nice surprise. We will spend 3 nights here…..

Edited: 06 August 2011, 17:39
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 week trip report with teens!

Thursday night dinner at Pazzo’s, near hotel. I have to say that is was probably the best Italian dinner I’ve ever had. Very pleasantly surprised. Walked around, spent a few hours at Powell’s.

Friday we went to Pine State Biscuits for b’fast, got some picnic stuff and headed to Mt. St. Helens. I had phoned the Johnston Ridge Visitor Ctr. for weather info at 360-274-2140, and they said it was clear. The whole ride there and half way up 504 was so socked in with fog, I thought there was no way we’d see anything. But it did open up and we had a clear view of the crater and learned about it through the movie and displays there. Happy hour at hotel and off to Andina for dinner. We enjoyed, but not blown away.

Saturday was busy. We went to Mother’s for b’fast. Best Eggs benedict ever. We then went to Saturday Market. That is a really fun spot. Got on some type of rail thing and went to Portland Art Museum to see The Allure of the Auto, which was an amazing temporary show here. Afterwards, went shopping and for lunch on NW 23rd (not sure if I’m saying that right). Headed back for happy hour and dinner at Red Star, which is the hotel restaurant. Our last day the flight was for 2:05, so we had time to visit Rose test gardens and Japanese Gardens. They were both beautiful, and views of Mt. hood from there are awesome!!

I took 2 oregon maps, did a ton of research prior to trip, printed some google maps of Florence, Newport, Bandon and Bend. We only made pre-trip reservations for dinner at Crater lake, which was needed, and Zydeco in Bend, also needed and the boat tour at CL. At Sandland dune buggies you will need a reservation if you want to go at a specific time. Everyone we meet was super nice. A homeless couple in Portland were very appreciative for the ½ a sandwich I gave them.

A big thanks to all who post here. The dynamics of this forum are super interesting, and I’ve enjoyed getting to know all of you in this way. Best of luck in the future and thank you for welcoming us to your beautiful state!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
259 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 week trip report with teens!

Thank you so much for your report. I am currently researching for an Oregon trip next summer with 19 year olds and looking at many of the areas you mentioned so your comments were very helpful.

Level Contributor
35,228 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 week trip report with teens!

We also love Pazzo! We have had two great meals there. Thanks for the reports, they are fun to read! :)