We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halfway - any good restaurants there?

san francisco
Level Contributor
137 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Halfway - any good restaurants there?

We're going to stay in Halfway. Are any (either) of the restaurants good or should we bring food?

Thanks

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halfway - any good restaurants there?

http://www.halfwayoregon.com/

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halfway - any good restaurants there?

The site listed above says absolutely not one word about restaurants. I'd like the same information if someone can be of more help.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,090 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halfway - any good restaurants there?

cjnky

The site listed above says absolutely not one word about restaurants. I'd like the same information if someone can be of more help>>>

the city web site says nothing about restaurants -- maybe there arent any in that small a town.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halfway - any good restaurants there?

I have never been there, but did find this:

www.all-oregon.com/halfway.htm#Restaurants

As a general rule, tiny rural towns will have food that is basic American cooking. Nothing fancy, and most likely will not cater to special diets such as "vegan", "gluten free" or anything like that.

Whether or not a restaurant is "good" is such a subjective question, seismoprincess! I see you are from SF, so your idea of good may be vastly different from a farmer who lives near Halfway and thinks chicken fried steak at the local cafe is great ;-)

(Which it very well may be, by the way! )

Baker City
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Halfway - any good restaurants there?

I live nearby in Baker City and, although I haven't eaten there, I have heard good things about Stockmen's Restaurant & Lounge on Main Street.

There are some other restaurants as well.

As others have said, don't expect gourmet food or arugula salad. You can expect everything to be very clean and sanitary and the food to be tasty. That's the way things are done in cowboy country, pardner!

One of Halfway's more notable citizens:

…cnn.com/2011-02-18/…

…cnn.com/vault/…index.htm

Edited: 08 August 2011, 21:31
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halfway - any good restaurants there?

Good for you that Kuskokwin replied. She/he about as close as you can get to a Halfway local. right no gourmet food, chicken fried steak a regular on menus. and clean. most of the cafes in rural Oregon are small and run by owner and they depend on locals as their regulars.

Baker City
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Halfway - any good restaurants there?

On your way to Halfway, make sure you stop here:

www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halfway - any good restaurants there?

I was hoping you'd drop in here, Kuskokwim :-)

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halfway - any good restaurants there?

Thanks for the information Kuskokwim! And the very informative extra information. :)

san francisco
Level Contributor
137 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halfway - any good restaurants there?

Thanks everyone for the replies, some more informative than others.

The food in Halfway was perfectly acceptable. You were right, nothing fancy.

I wasn't looking for arugula, I just wanted to avoid ptomaine, and I think a local farmer knows the difference between a good chicken fried steak and a breaded hamburger.

There were two restaurants open when I was there. Stockman's served mostly burgers plus a few specials. I got a burger and it wasn't bad. I saw someone else's salad and wished i had ordered one - it looked good.

We also ate at Wild Bill's and got pizza. Again, it wasn't bad, but the mushrooms were canned, and the salad bar was mostly iceburg lettuce.

Both restaurants were perfectly decent. There's also a small breakfast and lunch place that looked great - they feature home-baked goods. But it was only open Thurs - Sat so I didn't get to try it.

The Halfway Motel was a great place to stay. Jerry, the owner, is friendly and the rooms were clean and quiet.