We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
371 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

Thanks to everyone who helped plan this trip. Oregon is a great state to visit. Except for a little fog on the coast, the weather was perfect every day. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking so I can try to be brief here. The pics are split up into different albums. Most of the hotel reviews are posted.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Relayer51

I also included some videos, most notable the gray whale that is in the Klamath River.

We flew into Reno and made our track up to Lassen Volcanic NP. Here's the link to the LVNP trip report. We visited the park twice, at the beginning and end of the vacation.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143042-i4514-k472…

From Lassen it was past Mt Shasta to the Medford Courtyard. It was late so we only got to drive through Ashland as the sun was going down. Neat looking town.

On the way to Crater Lake we stopped at the Rogue River Gorge for 30 minutes, good stop. Crater Lake was fantastic. The loop road had just opened all the way and the weather. On the way to Bend we stopped at the Newberry Volcanic Monument and explored the Big Obsidian Flow which was something different. Holiday Inn Express fro 2 nights.

Our full day in Bend began with the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway. Stopped at Mt Bachelor, then hiked around the boggy but very scenic Todd Lake. Stopped at many more lakes before cutting back to 97 and making the drive up to Dee Wright Observatory. Glad we did, it was a different alpine experience. Ate at McMenamin’s in Bend, as the Deschutes Brewery was packed. I can see why they are expanding this location. Bend was a fun town on a Friday night.

Next morning it was Smith Rock State Park and Peter Skene Ogden State Park before heading to Mt Hood. I was so jealous seeing they were fully operational for skiing on July 30. What a site! We had to get to The Dalles Inn and get ready for the Yes concert at Maryhill Winery. Never seen an amphitheater with that kind of setting on the river.

Sunday was busy day exploring the gorge. We got to see everything. Lots of waterfalls and hiked to the top of Multnomah Falls. We also enjoyed the Bonneville Fish Hatchery. The Vancouver Hilton is a beautiful hotel. We didn't get to Portland as the Nissan rental trunk latch busted. We had to go to the Portland airport and exchange cars, bummer.

Monday it was up to Mt Saint Helens. All I can say is "wow". Hiked out the boundary trail until the point when you can see Mt Adams and Spirit Lake. Make sure to stop at Clearwater Lake. Very scenic with many new boardwalk sections to walk out over the water.

I misread the map heading to Astoria thinking I could cross over the river at Clathamet. Had no idea there was a ferry until I saw the sign for the turnoff. Very fortunate that we showed up at 3 minutes 'til the next departure and there was one spot left.

We drove the entire coast staying in Manzanita, Yachats, Bandon, Brookings and Arcata, CA. I highly recommend getting a copy of the Oregon Coast mile-by-mile magazine guide. This was an outstanding resource to have. It details every mile of the coast. Without it we would have never known about Otter Point in Gold Beach. What a cool stop that was totally empty.

The Tillimook Cheese Factory was very crowded. We stayed about 20 minutes before moving on. We drove the 3 capes loop and it was worth it. There was a somewhat confusing detour and we had to backtrack from Cape Mears. No biggie though.

The only foggy times were the entire length of the Oregon Dunes Recreation Area and at the Hecta Head Lighthouse. Along the dunes visibility was nonexistent. Fog was the reason we didn't drive out to the Cape Arago Lighthouse.

The Redwoods were neat, we saw the Sequoias 5 years ago at Yosemite. I did not know about the whale in the Klamath River until the park ranger told us. I got some decent video. I wonder how the story will finish.

Then it was on to Lassen and Lake Tahoe for 3 nights. My third time in Tahoe, always a good time. The Marriott Grand Residence is a fantastic resort, right in the middle of everything.

Here's a list of things we wanted to do, but didn't have time for. I'm not complaining, we did plenty.

1. Hiking to the top of Smith Rock

2. Portland - had to exchange rental cars, never got to town.

3. Hiking out to Cape Lookout.

4. Cape Arago - too much fog

5. Jet Boat Ride

6. More time at the Oregon Dunes - again the fog

7. Robert Aufderheide Scenic Byway

8. After seeing Mt Hood, skiing!

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

WOW what great pics and the videos of the whale and the falls terriffic.

I tried to post last night but messed up ,good thing as I ran thru all your pics again today. Thank you so much they are sure breath taking.

Thanks for the tips on Otter point. I didn't have that on my list but after seeing your pics I added it. In my other post I knew after I wrote Medford I meant Merced oops dumb on my part.

Where did you eat in Bandon? What was your most memorable meal on the OR Coast? What did you do at night that is a big thing I am concerned about it seems everything shuts at 5 or 6 and then what??????

Perhaps a silly question, I noticed most of the places include a coffee pot but are they decent sized and do they provide coffee etc. I going with folks who love their coffee and don't want to be stuck with a single cup server.

Thanks again

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

I also forgot . Did you do the entire rim at Crater Lake? If so how long did it take and did you feel it was worth it>

Sorry for so many questions.

Level Contributor
35,013 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

Very nice! :).

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

Our routine was pretty consistent each day. We would spend the majority of it driving, hiking, exploring, etc. and be checking into the hotel in early evening. Coffee was definitely an issue on this trip. I would ask about morning places when checking in.

Since our days were so busy, we didn't want anything fancy for dinner. We were looking for a pub style restaurant with local flair and we found it each night. The best part is all were a short walk away (except. The last thing we wanted to do was check-in and head back to the car.

I would rank them in the following order:

1. Yachats - Drift Inn, loved the umbrellas on the ceiling, fun place.

2. Manzanita - Sand Dune Pub, it's very laided back and definitely local.

3. Brookings - Vista Pub. I don't normally order a burger, but theirs were excellent and came highly recommended. Not much ambiance in this part of Brookings.

4. Bandon - We ate at Bandon Bill's Seafood Grill almost by default because it's the restaurant connected to the BW Inn at Face Rock. Nothing else was in walking distance. Nice ocean views and we were able to walk across the street and see the sun set. Decent food, but they were a little understaffed when we were there. I mentioned the restaurant in my review.

We did Crater Lake in about 4 hours, but we were not really in a hurry making a ton of stops. One could see the lake in half the time if necessary. We actually drove one and a half times around because we entered from the south and needed to leave the park on the northern side.

Again, definitely get a copy of the Oregon Coast mile-by-mile guide to Hwy 101. With hundreds of things to see on the coast it was a fantastic resource.

Edited: 15 August 2011, 19:43
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,899 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

Thanks for the very nice TR. I am glad you had a good time. I enjoyed your pictures and video.

Min

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

Speaking of coffee, I think it's funny we came out west on this trip with 3 gift cards for Dunkin' Donuts and couldn't find one in the entire state of Oregon. You guys don't know what you're missing!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

Nice trip report and photos, relayer. Great price you got on the HIE in McKinleyville.

>>What did you do at night that is a big thing I am concerned about it seems everything shuts at 5 or 6 and then what??????<<

Some businesses close around that time, but most don't in the summer! What sorts of things do you want to do? In the summer, many of us coastal residents are still out and about in the evenings, since the days are long and it's sunny ;-)

There is a drive-thru coffee stand in just about every town along the coast, no matter how small. Larger towns have several. Except for Starbuck's and Dutch Bros, nearly all of them are independently owned by local small business owners.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

I do have the Oregon Coast mile by mile and am re reading it.

Looks like we will have to buy a pot to haul with us ;-). I like to have it early when I get up don't want to have to chase for it at 5 am.

1/2 Brit I don't really care I just don't want to be stuck in the room after dinner with nothing to do. It seems the stores in the squares I looked at in Bandon, Healdsburg, Napa etc all close at 5 or 6. I don't want to have to drive I have terrible night vision and we will be driving all day. Loved to sit and have a drink or dessert , I saw the bonfire in one of the pics that would be super, maybe some dancing , Shopping etc. .

With 3 women together for 3 1/2 weeks it might be nice just to take off on my own for awhile if even for a nice walk LOL.

Thanks again everyone for all your assistance.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

Relayer I just read tonight that the whale you took such good pics of died . So sad , Thanks again for the great pics.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report with Pictures (7/26-8/10)

Thanks for the heads up, did not see it until now. I checked a couple days ago and things seemed status quo. I had a feeling this wasn't going to have a happy ending. We were wondering what was being done to get it back to sea, glad to see the calf made it.