We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
144 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

We will be booking one night in either Hood River or The Dalles. Is one a better choice for restaurants or amenities? Reasons? Thanks.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

Hood River by a long shot. It has a quaint downtown area, that is very walkable. Lots of great shops, breweries, restaurants and a stop at Mike's Ice Cream is highly recommended.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

I totally agree - Hood River! If you like beer, don't miss Double Mountain. Great beer and great pizza. The Dalles just seems old and tired to me, just a town you pass through, but Hood River is a place that when I'm there I think, wow, I could totally live here! Not sure what you want to do or what your purpose of visiting is, but you can walk down to the river and watch the windsurfers, get a beer, go hiking, visit antique shops . . .

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

Hood River is much more "yuppie-ized" than The Dalles ;-)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

There are some more amenities in Hood River. You would be a little more in the middle of things.

Unless you going to Maryhill Amphetheater? Lots of people who go there stay in The Dalles. It's closer than Hood River for that.

There are Bed and Breakfasts and every range of hotel/motel, as well as camping in Hood River. You would be on the "corner " of Highway 35 if you wanted to go up into Mount Hood National Forest, and there are more attractions to see and do.

If you like wine, there are "40 wineries in 40 miles" on both the Washington and Oregon side nearby Hood River. My favorite is Marchesi Winery. The owner is from Italy and knows his stuff. Often have barbeques on weekends.

If you would be interested in white water rafting, the White Salmon is not far across the Steel Bridge of the Gods in Cascade Locks.

Stop in at Multnomah Falls when you visit, and they have lots of brochures and information for you. (in the visitor information center)

Min

Edited: 17 August 2011, 00:23
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
144 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

OK, that settles it. Hood River it is. Thanks.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

We stayed in The Dalles only because we were going to the Maryhill Amphitheater. The town was dead and I saw no other reason to stay there. We were impressed when driving through Hood River.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

But how did you enjoy your concert?

Min

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

We had a blast, the Maryhill Winery is a post card of a venue. Visually, a great amphitheater. I've seen Yes about 25 times, and it's the first time I ever carried around a bottle of wine. My only complaint was the line waiting for a school bus to shuttle us over to the show. Wasn't expecting that. Here's a couple youtube videos I shot and I'll give the direct link to the pics of Maryhill.

Starship Trooper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIpWhtBET4Q

Yours Is No Disgrace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqda6yikVOo

Here are the pics from the show

https:/…

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

The Dalles has a fairly nice downtown. But is more for the locals. I prefer to walk the streets of The Dalles. Last time i was there they had a nice book store. but it could be gone. Then my grandmother lived there several years as did other family members. As a child often visited my aunt there, so more familiar to me.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in Hood River or The Dalles???

Relayer,

Are the accoustics as good as it would seem they are?

Min