We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week Oregon Camping trip...

Vancouver
4 posts
Save Topic
2 week Oregon Camping trip...

I'm trying to plan a 2 week camping trip through Oregon at the end of may and I need some help with some cool places to go.

All right, here's what I have so far:

- We're driving, have a 4x4 but dont really want to get that serious.

- We're talking tent camping so giant rv parks with 2 trees are out of the question. Don't really want to hike/camp either. Somewhere in the middle, like a nice small secluded campground, would be best.

- The high-level plan is south through the middle'ish and back up the coast or vice versa. I'm not to worried about the coast part of the trip, but of course suggestions are always welcomed. It's more the central part of the state that I don't really know what to do. I want to hit the Columbia River Gorge and Crater Lake, other than that I have no idea.

- We need stuff to do as well, like some cool hikes, rides, 4 wheelers on the dunes, etc. anything that's fun.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week Oregon Camping trip...

Are you planning to move every couple of days?? Or find maybe 4 cgs and work from there.

Forest Service CGs tend to be less patterned than State. which is good for tent campers. your neighbor might be a bit further away.

Plenty of those on route you plan, even on coast. Though the State Parks have better failities, more showers for example, and more flush toilets.

Area around Crane Prairie Res and Newberry Crater south of Bend has several cgs.

CGs on coast are popular when schools are out. May could be ok but if I wanted certain place even in May would make reservations, website to do that

In my view coast is better south bound cause of views and view points. and the later in year you con to central Oreg the warmer it should be.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week Oregon Camping trip...

We don't do a lot of car camping, but I'll share what I know...

Olallie Lake is a beautiful place, pristine lake in the shadow of Mt. Jefferson.

Lost Lake on Mt. Hood is wonderful.

A popular campground is Fort Stevens on the coast, but I haven't been there.

Silver Falls is a popular place - many waterfalls.

Trillium Lake or Timothy Lake on Mt. Hood are good.

Crater Lake near K-Falls is a must.

Camping in the Gorge is cold but beautiful.

Camping on the coast is cold but beautiful.

That's about all I've got for good campgrounds that you don't have to hike into.

Level Contributor
34,455 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week Oregon Camping trip...

Hi and welcome to the forums! I'll agree with the previous poster about Fort Stevens State Park in Warrenton. Make your reservations asap if you think you want to camp here. We have a home in Astoria, so haven't actually camped in the campsite, but the area here is gorgeous with the Wreck of the Peter Iredale, many paved paths for walking/biking and Coffenbury Lake.

It's a very popular camping site on a beautiful part of the northern Oregon coast. Have a great time on your travels! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week Oregon Camping trip...

Okay, here you go (starting in portland):

Day 1: After a meandering drive through the gorge, camp at Kingsley Park outside of Hood River.

Day 2: Spend the day hiking around Mt. Defiance or Warren Lake. Catch salamanders.

Day 3: Drive through the fossil beds and camp at the Shelton Wayside on OR 19. The creek should still be there in May.

Day 4: After checking out the Kam Wah Chung museum and having burgers at the Grubsteak in John Day, utilize your 4WD and head to the Fall Mtn Fire Lookout. You can make reservations at reserveamerica.

Day 5: Chill.

Day 6: Head south through Burns and Frenchglen, then drive through the Antelope Refuge to camp at the hot springs on Hart Mountain.

Day 7: Start heading west through Lakeview and camp at Cottonwood Meadow Lake near the town of Bly.

Day 8: Crater Lake, if it's open. If not, that's okay too.

Day 9: One more night at Crater Lake.

Day 10: Take OR 138 all the way through Roseburg, Sutherlin, and Elkton to that little campground at Smith River Falls.

Day 11: Driftwood Campground just south of Florence, or take your chances on the Dunes.

Day 12: Make it two nights. Explore

Day 13: Nehalem River Falls campground near Mohler. Best campground on the coast.

Day 14: One night at the Hotel Deluxe in downtown Portland to celebrate a trip well done. The Hotel opens May 3rd, so you can get the special "just opened" rate!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week Oregon Camping trip...

We camped at Coos Bay - the Horsfalls Campground, in the dunes - last summer and really loved it. It is just north of Coos Bay. When you come into the camping area, there is a big parking lot to your right with travel trailers and the like parked everywhere. Give that "campground" a miss! If you keep going past there, you will come to another campground, on the left. It is a small loop, with about a dozen campsites. This is where we camped. It was about 1/2 mile from the ocean, and there was only one other unit in the campground (we were there mid-week). It was $20 a night, you got free firewood and it had "flush" washrooms.

There was also another loop about 1/4 mile further down the road which was very similar to the one we were in. There were also remote sites that you need to quad into, but I think you need to reserve in advance to get one of those, and it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for anyway.

We were very impressed with how quiet this campground was and there were lots of trees. Plus, you were close enough to the ocean to hear it and smell it, but far enough away to not be bothered by the wind.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week Oregon Camping trip...

For info on Oregon State Parks, visit www.oregonstateparks.org

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week Oregon Camping trip...

oregone: You're right about Nehalem Falls!! I had the distinct privilage of growing up in Nehalem (35 years there) and spent countless days camping, swiming and just hanging out (a little under-age drinking as well) either at Nehalem Falls or down at the mouth of Cook Creek. And now, Oregon State Parks has purchased over 300 acres at Lost Creek, between Nehalem Falls and Cook Creek and will be developing a full-service campground within the next 2-5 years.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 week Oregon Camping trip...

Horsfalls is indeed a great camping spot, as long as you take Camping_Girl's advice and not stop at the first one. Camping in the dunes is kind of a crap shoot sometimes. For example, if you camp at Spinreel, you'll be up all night listening to OHV people. But if you camp at Eel Creek about three miles up the road, you'll have the place to yourself. Not that there's anything wrong with OHVs, it's just there's only so many times you can year the phrase "Git R Done" screamed out loud at 1:45 am before it gets a little old.

And yeah, Nehalem River Falls rocks. Drive-in spots are $10, but if you don't mind walking 150-200 feet, the "walk-in" sites are only $5 and are much more secluded. The world's coolest trees are there, too. Redwoods ain't got nuthin on sitka spruce.