We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

new york
Level Contributor
338 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

Hi all,

I've been reading relevant threads trying to come up with a rough itinerary for a summer trip beginning in Seattle and found a ton of helpful information. I'm a bit overwhelmed since it seems like there is so much to see and do. Can you please look over my itinerary and see if this is doable?

We are most interested in the beautiful ocean scenery, outdoor experiences unique to the region (we are from NY), and, most importantly (to me) local, farm-to-table food (and beer!).

Nights 1-3- fly into Seattle

Nights 4-5- Portland

Night 6- Yachats

Night 7- Bandon

Night 8- Crescent City

Night 9- ? fly back out of Portland next day

The three nights in Seattle are non-negotiable. I added Crescent City on the assumption that we could see the Redwoods from there conveniently; is that an accurate assumption? It would pain me to eliminate the Redwoods if we are so close since I don't know when we will be back. But, I don't want to rush our drive down the coast-- I want to leave plenty of time for unplanned adventures, so I will cut it if necessary.

I really want to include a visit to the Willamette Valley and was thinking that could break up the 6 hour drive from Crescent City back to Portland for night 9.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance! I am so excited for this trip!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

One way to make this work better might be to drive from Yachats all the way to Crescent City (you can stop for dinner at the Crab Shack on the wharf in Bandon). That would give an extra night and you might wantt it on the return to Portland. Your 6-hour estimate from Crescent City to Portland is very optimistic and doesn't allow for much time in the redwoods or for meal stops or other sightseeing.

If you get into Portland the night BEFORE your flight out, you can see some of the Columbia Gorge, maybe do the Gorge/Mt. Hood Loop (with lunch at Timberline) and not have to worry about making your flight.

As for "seeing" the Willamette Valley, I-5 will take you through its entire length...but I'm not sure there'll be a lot to see. If you mean you want to explore the various wine districts, I'm afraid you just don't have the time (and on such a long driving day are you sure you want to be consuming alcohol?).

Anyway, as I said, if you can compress some of the earlier days and extend those driving days, you would have a more leisurely trip on your way back up to Portland.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

yes 6 hours is optimistic-from Cresent City to Portland.

Another option is to not go to the Redwood National Park, but to Jeddidiah State Park along Hwy 199(and Howland Hill Road) on your way back south from Crescent City to the north. Its pretty spectacular, even if its not 'the' national park... redwoodhikes.com/Jed%20Smith/Jed%20Smith.html

Agree that you wont have time to do the the valley/wine areas with the time you have, but really considering all the other things to see- it wouldnt be high on my list unless you really enjoy wines, etc. - and particularly if you are driving from Cresent City to Portland and then flying out the next day.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

I have no idea why every one is so in love with Yachats. Trendy little place, but not much to do there.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,788 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

LOL phirl, it's because Yachats is probably the last of the quiet, unspoiled, picturesque Oregon coast "villages" that people dream about ;-)

You're right, there is not much to "do" there . . . well, you can walk on the beach, walk on the 804 trail rocky shore, stroll around the whole downtown easily on foot, hike at Cape Perpetua, see Devil's Churn - the covered bridge - Little Log church . . . or just relax in a tiny town that is not congested and has a gorgeous setting.

Havebeachwilltravel,I think your plan is good. Yes, you can see the redwoods on Hwy 199, but Crescent City has its own set of attractions:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60944-Activitie…

If you travel south of town toward Eureka, you will experience one of the most spectacular stretches of road in the US - when 101 hugs the cliff face for a few miles about 10 miles south.

To give you an idea of timing, from Crescent City to the picturesque little fishing village of Trinidad is about one hour without stops. Then on your return, take Newton Drury scenic parkway (old 101) which will add about 20 minutes or so. So your driving will be only about 2½ hours to get a quick look at most of Redwood NP. You can add stops for whatever suits your fancy as it will stay light until at least 9:00 pm depending upon exactly when you're traveling.

Six hours is about right for the Crescent City to Portland stretch, without stops and assuming no accidents or anything. Are you thinking of just getting off the main freeway and wandering around the back roads a bit?

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g52024-d2643…

What time does your flight leave from Portland? That will help you decide where you should stay in or around the Willamette Valley. There are lots of options.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

Half-brit. Actually Yachats has been a favorite of mine forever. I grew up near there, and visited often as a kid, and since then too. but I worry as everybody goes there it will no longer be a special place. And there really is little to do there compared to Newport.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

Seems I posted this on the wrong thread, so am repeating it here, where it makes sense...sort of. It's been one of those days!

Sometimes, "little to do" translates into just enjoying the waves breaking on the rocky shore or taking a long hike (7 miles from the Adobe to Waldport...easy, especially if you can do a car shuttle). Sometimes, "little to do" means taking the time to wach the sun set over the Pacific.

I had a friend once who couldn't understand the appeal of camping. "What do you do at night," he always asked. We enjoy the campfire and watch the embers dim and then go to sleep, I responded. He just couldn't grasp the concept.

It is counterintuitive to recommend that someone travel 3,000 or so miles to do nothing, but sometimes in the middle of a journey that's just the thing to do.

new york
Level Contributor
338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

Thanks to all for responding. I've been thinking about our plans and I think we are going to save the Redwoods for another trip to Northern California in the future. (To give you an idea of how this trip has changed, we originally were going to fly to Seattle and end up in San Francisco.) As we think about it, we just are not sure we want to spend so much time driving. I'd rather find a base on the northern/central coast and stay there for several nights and explore from there. It just seems like there is so much to do within a couple of hours of Portland that I do not want to miss on a race down the coast. I've been looking at Cannon Beach; are there any other favorite coastal towns within, let's say, 3 hours of Portland?

So this is what I'm thinking for our revised itinerary.

Nights 1-3- Seattle

Nights 4-6- Portland (putting an extra night here so we can do a day trip to Mt. Hood)

Nights 7-9- coastal town as a base to explore

How does that sound?

Please also point me in the direction of any food unique to the region that I have to try. We are more into beer than wine, but do appreciate wine. If the Willamette Valley is mostly wineries, then we will probably skip it. I love, love, love cheese and any sort of dessert, and I am very into local food. I also enjoy taking (amateur) landscape photography so if there's any can't miss scenery I'd love to know.

Thanks again!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

Cheese?? hope you plan to visit Tillamook. there is no better cheese

Edited: 12 January 2012, 01:45
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,788 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

>>I've been looking at Cannon Beach; are there any other favorite coastal towns within, let's say, 3 hours of Portland?<<

Cannon Beach is the most upscale of the Oregon coast towns, and since it's within a couple of hours of over a million people, is correspondingly crowded all summer. All year, practically. It is "quaint", very pretty, with lots of restaurants and shoppes.

Larger towns that are popular with folks from inland are Seaside, Newport, Lincoln City. Depoe Bay (no beach) has about a zillion time shares in a massive develpment and really attracts visitors. At just over 3 hours away is tiny quiet Yachats.

It depends somewhat on what you like to do, and the type of town which appeals more to you.

Newport is home to Rogue Ales; Astoria has 2 or 3 breweries. Cannon Beach has Bill's Tavern & brewpub which has been there since the 1930's I think.

Photography? Cannon Beach and Yachats would be the top picks for natural ocean/rocks, that sort of thing. There is an historic stagecoach road just south of Cannon Beach:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g51790-c151280/Cannon…

London
Level Contributor
917 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary advice for 9 night trip, help please!

The trip we did a couple of months ago was:

San Francisco and flew internally to Portland. Stayed 4 nights as there is loads of beer to drink in Portland ! Then hired a car and drove the coastal road to Astoria stayed at cannery pier hotel ( very nice ). Good beer to be had here as well . Stated one night, then drove to cannon beach, costal road to Newport stayed at Elizabeth inn great view ! One night . Then drove Rosenberg ( very quiet ) but good for a trip to crater lake ( weather permitting ) then drove to mount shastra then onto San Francisco . This was a longer holiday but you can organise it to fit your internery. Oregan coast is stunning, cannon beach is lovely .