We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Weather/itinerary

Michigan
Level Contributor
154 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Weather/itinerary

My wife are planning our vacation for this coming year. One place that we've always wanted to visit was Oregon. Our thought is to go to Portland and the coast.

I understand that the Northwest is fairly temperate, but was wondering if there is an ideal time of the year or month to go?

Also, does anyone have a suggested itinerary for a week -- number of days in Portland vs. the coast, coastal towns to visit, other areas to see (Eugene?) if we have time.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Weather/itinerary

Best month of the year to visit the Pacific Northwest is September, the last 3/4ths. June isn't bad, either, only more chance of rain. As far as ininerary goes, look at the top/right of this page under "More About Oregon". Chuck...

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Weather/itinerary

I would opt for the summer months (July-Sept), but a lot depends on your interests and what sort of activities you have in mind. Also, whether you want to explore mountains, valley, high desert as well as coastline. You need to give us a lot more info on yourself. And, as BlackBelt suggests, do a bit of research on what we have to offer and give us some feedback.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Weather/itinerary

www.weatherbase.com will give you historical statistics, with no guarantee that this year will follow the norms. IMHO late July and August are best.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Weather/itinerary

As a vacationer to Oregon for over 30 years (and many more trips then that), I concur that July - Sept are the best times to be there weatherwise (almost always sunny and temps in the 70-80's range with low humidity). To really explore the coast, you'll need at least 3 or 4 days. Even then you're pushing it. Good towns to stay in would be Astoria, Seaside, Lincoln City, Newport, Florence, Coos Bay, and Bandon. But you'll want to make lots of stops along the way at all the state parks and lookouts. I have a blog of the Oregon coast here: …blogspot.com/search/label/oregon…

I also have a blog of the Willamette Valley here: …blogspot.com/search/…20Valley

There is soooo much to do in Oregon!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Weather/itinerary

However, the coast is at its busiest between July 4th and the end of August. After Labor Day, the crowds thin out a bit.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Weather/itinerary

To slabeaume - I quickly read your Oregon Coast blog. You need to do some updating on it, most particularly Drift Creek covered bridge ;-)

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Weather/itinerary

Is it no longer there? I'll admit, these are pictures over several years of visiting.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon Weather/itinerary

It was moved to Kerry & Laura Sweitz's home near Bear Creek.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon Weather/itinerary

Everyone should have their own covered bridge!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon Weather/itinerary

Or a caboose!