We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sand boarding in Florence, OR- need a lesson?

huntington beach, ca
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sand boarding in Florence, OR- need a lesson?

We're trying to figure out how much time to allow for sand boarding in Florence because we'd also like to squeeze in a dune buggy ride that same day!

We have teenagers who are pretty good SNOW boarders and we're wondering if that will transfer over to sand boarding or should they take a lesson? It looks like the lessons are in a different place than the real sand boading so I'm just trying to figure out timing. How long do people usually sand board in a day/

Thanks for any help!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sand boarding in Florence, OR- need a lesson?

The technique is the same. If they snowboard, they can sandboard. The sand is a little slower is all.

The Sand Ranch, just north of town on hwy 101 has board rentals AND sandboarding. I think the dune near Cleawox Lake at J.M. Honeyman State Parks is a better spot personally.

Two hrs is about all most people can handle. Remember, there are no lifts and walking up a steep, soft sanddune is tiring!

One last comment: PLEASE be sure the kiddos wear helmets. Those boards can cause a NASTY cut on the back of the head! I say this from personal experience!!

Edited: 13 February 2012, 23:59
huntington beach, ca
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sand boarding in Florence, OR- need a lesson?

Just the information I was looking for - thanks!

And yes, I noticed no one was wearing helmets in the pictures online. Hope you can rent them since we're flying and baggage space is tight!

Thanks again!

3. Re: Sand boarding in Florence, OR- need a lesson?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 10:19