We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

We are planning a camping trip along the Oregon Coast (for two weeks starting in Northern Oregeon and travelling to the California Redwoods). Does anyone know of any campgrounds along the way that are nestled amongst nice big trees? Would be willing to go a bit inland for those forested sites. Also, is anyone aware of any web resources that show pictures of the camp sites? Sometimes government campgrounds show pictures of their camp sites but I haven't been able to find any for Oregon. Thanks!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

Saddle Mountain would fit the bill perfectly. It is off of Hwy 26 and only about 12 miles or so east of hwy 101. There are less than a dozen sites there and it is primitive. Lots of big trees and not crowded at all.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

Here's the State Parks website:

http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/index.shtml

From south to north, here are the State Parks that meet your criteria:

Loeb; Seven miles inland from Brookings along the Chetco River.

Cape Blanco; Sets near the top of the western-most point in Oregon

Sunset Bay: ~12 miles SW of Coos Bay. Campground is across the road from one of the most beautifull beaches in Oregon

Jessie M Honeyman; Hwy 101, 4 miles south of Florence. Adjacent to the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. 4 freshwater lakes

Beverly Beach; North of Newport. Across hwy 101 from a very nice beach

Cape Lookout; 12 miles SW of Tillamook. ON the beach. Winter storms have taken many large trees over the years, but there are still plenty

Ft Stevens; 8 miles SW of Astoria. The older portion (Loops D, E, F) have plenty or large trees

You don't say what time of yer your trip is, but reservations are HIGHLY encouraged at all the parks I listed!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

There are several Forest Service CGs. Some near Sand Lake. Some more near Cape Perpetua, and a lot in Oregon Dunes. Also a few inland on Siskiyou NF up the drainages, that is near Gold Beach and Brookings

BLM has some CGs up the Nestucca R.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 16:13
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

Are you looking for a more primitive campground that will not have many people around, or one that has flush toilets/showers but is set in the trees?

There is a huge difference between the type of campground described in post #1, and some of the campgrounds listed in post #2. (Fort Stevens, for example, has I think over 300 campsites.)

Are you looking for a rustic, out of the way campground that attracts more tents than RVs? In any State Park campground that is popular and easily accessible for RVs, you *may* be next to an RV running a generator.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

half-brit--The campground at Saddle Mountain does have flush toilets. No showers though.

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. In response to half-Brit, thanks for letting me know. What I am after a site with a lot of trees. This can be a large campground or a small one, flush toilets or not. It just doesn't seem like camping to me if I'm not nestled in the trees. Saddle Mountain might be out though because it only has 10 sites and is first come first serve (we will want to guarante that we have a site when we arrive).

Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

Once you get into California, I can highly recommend Patrick's Point State Park north of Trinidad (maybe 1/2 way between Eureka and Crescent City). Lots of trees plus is on top of a cliff at the ocean. One of my most favorite state parks. Showers, flush toilets, etc. Also, most CA state park websites have pictures of their parks/campgrounds.

Edited: 11 March 2012, 19:20
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

You'd probably enjoy most of the campgrounds on the list that dengay provided then, Tam228. I don't think there are that many trees right around the campsites at Loeb, though... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51780-d20…

Another campground you might like is Bullard's Beach just north of Bandon. Although it's been some yeras since I stayed there in a motorhome, sections A & B have lots of trees, although the sites are too small for bigger rigs. (But I'm assuming you're not driving one, lol!)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

Don't think you should hope to find places as you go in State Parks. though tenting sites may be easier. if you stop early. we drive by Beverly Beach SP and often see no vacancy sign out.. But think further south you can finds spots easier. like Harris Beach.

For most part sites in Forest Service CGs in Dunes are not in tall trees, plus many are occupied by dune buggy people who are noisy. Same is true more or less for Sand Lake area. The times we have stayed there we were doing dune buggies.

I suggest you do some studying and find 2 or 3 SPs to your liking and book them. and soon. We are booked into Sunset Bay SP now for August. Last time I looked many of RV sites gone but not tent sites. Sunset Bay is off 101 but is in trees.

Edited: 12 March 2012, 00:42
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Forested Campgrounds along the Oregon Coast

Loeb has some of the largest Myrtlewood trees found anywhere in Oregon, as well as quite a few large conifers (Giant Sequoia; Douglas Fir).