We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Global Warming in Eugene

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,847 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Global Warming in Eugene

If this be spring....fetch me a snow-blower!

Awoke to find more than a foot of snow, trees down, schools closed and can't get out of my own garage! Wet heavy snow on Douglas fir limbs make walking around a duel with widowmakers. Daffodils snowed under, rhodies bent to the ground.

I'm guessing it's even worse up PDX way and over the Siskiyous. Did someone ask a question about snowboarding? My street in the south hills of Eugene would make a fine slope.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,847 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Global Warming in Eugene

I've been checking on road conditions up and down the I-5 corridor and all the east-west connectors to the coast and Cascades...and for anyone planning travel today, a couple words of advice: 1. Stay where you are for another day; 2. If you have to travel, keep an eye on www.tripcheck.com for latest road conditions, carry extra clothing and food/water, since you could be in for a much longer time on the road than you have planned.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Global Warming in Eugene

You are getting what we got last week!! I called it white rain instead of snow! Last I checked, hwy 126 was closed at mp 36 (Badger Mt) due to multiple spin-outs!

Stay safe everyone!!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,935 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Global Warming in Eugene

We just had a dusting this morning, and we sit pretty high up. You got it all:) I was supposed to head down that way today but called and cancelled. It's finals week for the universities, so the kids are enjoying the snow before they head home:)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Global Warming in Eugene

I checked tripcheck a while a go and it looked like I-5 was pretty clear in the Eugene area.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 18:36
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Global Warming in Eugene

Have about an inch in Dallas, a bit more in Salem. Looks like the worst is from just south of Salem to Pleasant Hill, then starts tapering off. ODOT road cam shows just wet pavement in Roseburg. Been checking cuz wife and adult kids traveling down I-5 to California after lunch today.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,847 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Global Warming in Eugene

At the moment, the sun is out and the globs of snow and ice are falling from the trees. I-5 seems to be clearing up from multiple earlier accidents. #126 to the coast has a closure and #20 and #126 over the Cascades have multiple closures. #99 between Corvallis and Eugene has a closure.

Mtngrl...heard on radio this morning that 8 a.m. finals had been postponed (I thought I heard until next week, but that doesn't seem right); campus opened at 10 a.m. LCC closed today.

Does appear that Lane, Benton, Linn Counties got the worst of it.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Global Warming in Eugene

You're welcome to it, o'poppa ;-)

I figured it would be snowing over the coast range, since it was snowing here by the ocean this morning. Fortunately not sticking. It has now warmed up to a whopping 38º and is raining a cold, cold almost-snow rain.

My avatar was from last Tuesday (13th) here ... quite similar to yours today, LOL.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Global Warming in Eugene

Earlier today the Santiam Pass was closed due to a slide. My son is headed to Seattle this afternoon (they have a charter bus since it's an out of state trip). That's going to be a LONG ride in the bus with a bunch of antsy and rather smelly teenagers.

Keep warm, all!!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Global Warming in Eugene

My avitar is from last week as well......................

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,847 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Global Warming in Eugene

half=Brit....is that a St. Bernard? We have plenty of food in our larder, but I'm out of brandy. Could you send him on a rescue mission?

A lot of slush in the streets, which will turn to ice tonight. The trees keep dropping their snow loads, dangerously. And I think we've lost a lot of rhodies and other plants that have snapped under the weight of the heavy wet snow.

Rain is forecast, but if we have a freeze, driving (and walking) will be even worse tonight and tomorrow until we have a true thawing.