We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

Seattle...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

My husband, two dogs, and I are going to take a road trip down from Seattle along the 101. We are on a tight budget, and will be camping most of the time. We are Washington natives, so we are looking for something uniquely Oregonian.

--We like scenic nature, hiking, oddities, music, food, beer & wine, and dog-friendly places.

--We don't like super touristy traps (except if there is something genuinely amazing about them), crowds, and places where dogs aren't welcome.

I would love some recommendations for:

--places to see (nature and other)

--places to camp (safe and scenic)

--good but inexpensive places to eat

--breweries/vineyards that are worth the visit

--natural foods type grocery stores along the way

We may or may not go the extra mile to see the California redwoods. Is it worth the driving?

Thanks!

Baker City
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

The path you speak of, Highway 101, is one of the great drives in the United States, so it is well beaten by tourists from Oregon and from other states and even from other nations. Because of its configuration, it's hard to stray from it.

Anyway, the many great things to see and do on the beaten path satisfy almost everybody.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

Yeh, you can't get off the beateb path on the coast. 101 is it. The further yo get from Portland the smaller the crowds. though. Port Orford to Brookingd can seem off the beaten path.

Several State Parks along coas. Most are Safe and in good settings. Our favorites are Beverly Beach and Sunset Bay. Also some Forest Service CGs near Sand Lake and again Yachats to North Bend. They usually have fewer amenities. Our least favorite Fort Stevens. maybe we just had a bad site but we seemed stacked against our neighbors.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 18:51
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

places to see. Yachats yo Florence can take a full day it you make all the good stops. Go to top of Cape Peretua, , stop at Vis center off 101.

Take a guided dune buggy ride sout of Florewnce. Those drivers know where to go snd how to drive the dunes,

Samuel Boardman SP is a real gem. Doesn't look like it as yo drive by. You need to stop. There is a guide that talks about the several possible stops. Get that so you can make the best ones.

Take the jet boat up the Rogue from Gold Beach.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 19:05
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,740 posts
1,029 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

Hi Nicole M and welcome to TripAdvisor. As the others have said, since there is essentially only one "path" along the Oregon coast, it is well beaten, LOL!

There are some remnants of old Hwy 101 here and there, one of which is a pleasant drive on the south coast, although inland from the ocean. There are also a few roads that loop inland a bit then come out again at the ocean, and you'll see rivers / creeks / trees / small farms that sort of scenery along them.

If you'll be here during July or August there will be crowds. Not like you get in Seattle, but yes you'll have traffic in the larger or more popular towns and plenty of people on the beaches in/near towns. The north and central coasts are always busier because the three biggest cities in Oregon (Portland, Salem,Eugene) are just 2-3 hours away.

Dogs are welcome on all beaches (some leash laws apply in State Parks & towns), campgrounds, hiking areas and many outdoor eating areas. They are not allowed in stores.

I'm sure there are several natural food type stores along the coast. I am familiar with Oceana in Newport.... http://www.oceanafoods.org/ Nearly every supermarket sells organic food and produce.

Breweries - Take a look at Wet Dog in Astoria and Rogue Ale in Newport & South Beach, amongst others.

There are many campgrounds along the coast. The popular state parks fill up very fast, though and some of those may be full already for high summer. There are some pleasant privately owned parks that allow tents. Additionally, nearly every town has older, smaller mom-and-pop motels along the main road that are very reasonably priced even in summer.

Redwoods - YES, it is worth it!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,740 posts
1,029 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

Oh, meant to add - as far as finding restaurants, take a look at the individual towns along the way. At the top right of the page, enter a town name in the search box.

Example - Yachats.

That will take you to this page... tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g52148-Yachats_Orego…

Then you can click on the blue links for restaurants (All 10 restaurants) and things to do (All 8 things to do).

This will work for all towns :-)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

Some things that I like but aren't necessarily unbeaten...

Darlingtonia (pitcher plants) wayside

Shore Acres park

In Oceanside, you can walk through a tunnel to another beach that is very pretty.

Ireland's Rustic Lodges, Gold Beach - Loved our cabin there.

Hug Point - There's a waterfall on the beach I believe.

Tide pools - Look at the tide schedule. Times with negative values are the best to visit tide pools.

Sea lions in Newport - they're ridiculous.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

A few more:

Proposal Rock in Neskowin. Gorgeous!

Peter Iredale shipwreck outside Astoria.

Coquille River Lighthouse in Bandon - Feels different than the others along the coast. On the mouth of a river; very pretty.

See people flying huge kites on the  beach in Lincoln city. When I say huge, I mean kites that are 20+ feet long.

I can give you more details if you like and/or show you some of my pictures. Let me know.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

For natural foods, maybe try Nye Beach in Newport. It's a little hippie area that I'm sure would have something like that.

Also, buy produce at farmers' markets and roadside stands. I've never had better fruit than I got in Oregon.

9. Re: Off the beaten path Oregon Coast trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:18