We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

I'm planning a leisurely 10 day drive from San Fran to Portland along the coast in August 2012. I've done a bit of research and mapped out some sights on a Google Map here:

http://bit.ly/IvMqJE

My questions are the following:

1) Any other recommendations for must-see sights, great hikes, national parks, eateries, or general spots of interest to add to my list of possibilities?

2) I'm in desperate need of advice about where to lay my head at night without breaking the bank. I want to keep my itinerary somewhat flexible but will need to balance that with knowing I have somewhere to sleep! I'm up for budget accommodation and/or camping options, but am not sure how to figure out where to stay.

Thanks!

Edited: 27 April 2012, 16:10
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

Hi, I looked at your itinerary ... are you aware that the sights are not in order?

Oregon has only one National Park and that is Crater Lake in the south east, but we have many many nice State Parks!

August is the busiest month of the year here for visitors. Nearly every town along the coast has at least one smaller, older mom-and-pop motel located along the main road. They fill up last and even in August you will probably be able to just "drop in" and find a room, especially if you get into a town by early afternoon.

What do you consider "breaking the bank" in terms of overnight lodging price?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

I know the sights are not "in order" as listed, but the pins along the actual map are in the correct places, so that's what matters.

Ideally I'd like to spend no more than $100 per night for accommodation, though I'd happily stay somewhere more basic for less-- whether that means a budget motel or camping.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 21:22
Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

We had very nice lodging without breaking the bank on our trip last August, and I don't think we spent more than $100 anywhere on the coast. We stayed in Arcata, CA, Brookings, Bandon, Yachats, Manzanita and Vancouver, WA. The only town which our lodging was average was Brookings. I wrote reviews of each place.

Check the link for my trip report as I included many photos of the coast.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28958-i237-k47323…

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

I'm uncertain about where you are lodging; saw only one "bed" on the coast. Perhaps I missed other spots, but you would want at least two full days to experience the OR coast. Hard to offer lodging location recommendations until we know more about your timeline expectations. Or, perhaps I missed it.

PS Barnacle Bistro, Gold Beach, see reviews.

Edited: 29 April 2012, 21:31
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

I have four full days planned for the Oregon Coast-- starting at Crescent City, CA (just over the border) and wanting to end in Astoria by the end of day 4. Any suggestions on how best to break down the coast and related sights within four days? I'm thinking of overnighting in: Gold Beach (night 1), Florence (night 2), Tillamook or Bay City (night 3) and Astoria (night 4).

Thanks.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

Relayer: Thanks, your post is EXTREMELY helpful!

Edited: 30 April 2012, 18:29
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

Think you need reservations if you stay in Gold Beach. Jet boat tours can fill up the rooms.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 19:54
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

Though there may be some exceptions, $100/nt in August, along the Oregon coast, won't get you very close to the ocean. Not that it's a bad thing, just so you know going in.

Having said that, Florence is a good option for night #2. There are several good "value" motels in the area. You MIGHT want take a look at Yachats (45 min north). It's a much smaller town, but very beautiful and has a wide varitety of lodging options.

Forget Tillamook (there are no motels in Bay City). There are a couple of decent motels in Garibaldi, 6 miles north of Tillamook, and Rockaway Beach, another 5 miles north) has a TON of lodging options, but if it were me, I'd head another 13 miles north (of Rockaway Beach) and stay in Manzanita, and then on to Astoria for your final night.

Edited: 30 April 2012, 20:22
Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

Phril - I've read about the jet boat tours up the Rogue River and most people highly recommend them. Would you agree? It would eat up at least 5 hrs of my time, but if it's worth doing I'd be up for it.

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 day Pacific Northwest coastal road trip

Thanks, dengay! Very helpful insights and recommendations.