We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

Hi all and thank you in advance for any thoughts, ideas and recommendations! My first real question is whether the beginning of May is even a good time to be traveling to Oregon? I thought perhaps starting in San Fran and driving up, but really know very little about the options. We love to hike and generally are easy and flexible with our plans. We'll have about 6 days.

Any itinerary recommendations would be more than appreciated. Many thanks and happy travels to all.

DEC

Brick, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

Let me know what you find. I'm already booked to fly to SEA in the end of May and drive to SFO. I'm going to stop in Portland, drive down the OR coast to CA, through the redwoods, Sonoma County to SFO. I'm wondering if I should deviate a bit and head inland in OR. I'd love to see Crater Lake, although I know the ring road won't be open yet.

Any ideas?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

drtravel47, welcome to the OR TA Forum. it's best to start a new post or you'll get "lost" on this one as it progresses. I'd skip Crater Lake; as you know the ring road won't be open so, why go? I'd focus on the OR coast as time permits, from Astoria south along the route you have chosen. (We just drove northbound on that route; been on the coast many times, absolutely beautiful, rugged, interesting assortment of towns.)

How many days will you have for the drive from Seattle to San Francisco?

Need advice re: this drive?

Flying into Seattle? Are you planning to visit our fair city and environs?

Edited: 01 May 2012, 04:37
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

My thought is if you wanna see crater lake, and weather looks lclear, go see it. You can always rent/strap on some cross country skis/snowshoes and go for a ski on the rim road. If weather looks non-cooperative, I wouldnt go to CL.

DaniC- May can be unpredictable as far as weather, particualarly at the coast. I'd expect showery weather with some sun and periods of rain...

There are plenty of hiking options, once you know where your route takes you, we can recommend. I'm assuming you have a one way flight to SF and you do not need to make a loop back to SF for the return home? That will make a difference as to where/what you will be able to see. Many people take Hwy 101 from SF to Astoria and then to Portland for return flight in about a week- would give you time to see stuff on the coastline without being too rushed. Of course inland options are possilbe too...

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

DaniCEllen - May along the coast is often fairly wet and for the past three years has been grey and dreary. Inland, May can be very nice with often some showers. The weather boys and girls are telling us that May is expected to be dryer than normal, but cool. Whatever that means!

Everything is more than 40 shades of green right now though, with all the flowers in bloom :-)

Drtravel47 - Not only will the rim road be closed, the north entrance/exit will still be closed. Here is a real time web cam of CL:

craterlakelodges.com/press-room-247056252-81…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

Thanks everyone! We'll fly into Portland on a Monday and drive down to San Fran to be there late friday. Anything in between is still flexible if you have any great ideas. Thought of Cannon Beach, Yachat and the sand dunes. Crater Lake seems like a bad idea at this time of year and we will just have to come back to see it. Does this sound good? Do we need to book motels or is it off-season now so we can be spontaneous as to where we stay?

As always, thank you in advance for any help!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

I would suggest booking in Cannon Beach. Most hotels there have a two night minimum, but you may get a one night this time of year during the week. The rest of the route I think you'll be fine just winging it, but I would spend some time looking at the lodging ahead of time so you know what to expect!

Just enter the town name and state in the search box at the top right - which will take you to this type of page (ex: Yachats)...

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g52148-Yachats_Orego…

Then click on the blue link that says "All ___ hotels" and you'll get the list of lodging. You may also want to click on the "Specialty Lodging" as well as the "B&Bs and Inns"on the left hand side of that page as that often will include lodging other than standard hotels, such as cabins and so forth.

A lot of people overlook the little town of Klamath, Calif, but if you like B&Bs there is one there - a bit funky and offbeat. It's called the Requa Inn. They serve dinner there since there are essentially zero places to eat in town.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

Thank you @half_Brit! Will definitely look into Cannon Beach and some places on the way. We like playing it by ear but that's not always possible everywhere so glad to hear it might work along the coast.

Many thanks for all your help!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,065 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

You could also meander through the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area just east of Portland on I-84. 77 miles of beauty including Multnomah Falls.

Lots to see and do, although hiking would be a bit muddy maybe.

Check out http://www.nwhiker.com to see some of the vistas and beauty in this area. Once you log on, go to Oregon, look in-between Washington and Oregon and check hikes by "feature" then look at waterfalls. Many are close to the road and no hiking need be done.

A good city to stay there is Hood River, but there are many more. cities as well.

Have fun planning.

MrsO

9. Re: May trip - desperate for some travel ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:15